Respected Contributor

I let my BF borrow a top. She returned it in perfect condition - except that I cannot get rid of the underarm odor. It did not smell when I turned it over to her. It is a synthetic blend which doesn't help matters any. I've febreezed it and washed it twice. Used vinegar in the rinse the first time and then Tide Sports in the second wash w/another vinegar rinse. Nothing's working. Shall I just consider this a donation to a charitable organization?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Odor Elimination on Blouse

I would consider donating it to her.

Trusted Contributor

A bit of baking soda in the wash cycle? I've done that on stinky towels or rags, along with detergent too.

Super Contributor

I second the baking soda suggestion. Failing that, I'd put the blouse in a ziploc bag with some baking soda, seal it up for a couple of days, and then wash it again.

Respected Contributor

I recently read that placing a garment into a freezer bag and then into the freezer will kill all the bacteria. One would think that once the bacteria were killed off the smell would go away. It's better than placing in a hot dryer that might shrink the garment.

eta: the article I read said to leave in the freezer overnight.

Super Contributor

Take an open can of coffee, place it in an airtight Rubbermaid container, place the blouse inside the container, put the lid back on the Rubbermaid container, make sure none of the coffee grinds spill out of the can, and let the blouse sit inside the container for a week. Then take the blouse wash it with a very soapy detergent like Tide and leave it soaking in the machine for an hour, then in the rinse cycle add fabric softener. If you place it in the dryer, add a tennis ball and several fabric softener sheets! Then hang it on the line for a day!! It works on some fabrics, not sure of synthetics though.

Esteemed Contributor

There has never been a smell in my clothing that I could not get rid of in the wash. I was once sprayed by a skunk too and that even came out in two washings. I am afraid I can't give you any advice.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Ilikeshade said:

I recently read that placing a garment into a freezer bag and then into the freezer will kill all the bacteria. One would think that once the bacteria were killed off the smell would go away. It's better than placing in a hot dryer that might shrink the garment.

Freezing will kill some of the germs (dust mites) but not the odor. I've tried that on vintage clothing that has the musty smell and it doesn't seem to work.

Respected Contributor

If she washed/dried it before returning it to you the dryer may have set the smell in the same way a stain is set.

If you won't wear it because of the odor please do NOT donate it to a charitable organization. That would be an insult.

Respected Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Cattitude said:
On 1/22/2015 Ilikeshade said:

Freezing will kill some of the germs (dust mites) but not the odor. I've tried that on vintage clothing that has the musty smell and it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the info!