Esteemed Contributor

Do you ever shop at Goodwill thrift stores? I just got the nicest surprise....!

I don't usually go to the Goodwill stores, but I think I need to start. My son sells a lot on eBay and from time to time, he makes the rounds of all the thrift stores in the area. He came by this morning to show me a few of the things he picked up, and I wound up with a surprise gift!

Every time I see Rachel Ray present her "Little Hoot" 16-piece dinnerware set, I think about buying it, but I have so many dishes already, I just couldn't justify the price... $70.00 plus $9.47 S&H. I've always loved owls, and I just think these are so cute for casual use.

Well, in walks my son with a "Little Hoot" mug to show me, and it turned out he got an entire 16-piece dinnerware set with 4 extra mugs in perfect condition for $10.00! At QVC prices, including shipping, that's about $107.00! So, when he found out how much I liked this set, I got an early Christmas gift! {#emotions_dlg.wub} He has found other fantastic bargains and does very well with his eBay business, but this time MOM was the winner! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Has anyone else found any great deals at thrift stores?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever shop at Goodwill thrift stores? I just got the nicest surprise....!

My neighbors shop there all the time.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever shop at Goodwill thrift stores? I just got the nicest surprise....!

You did great! What a bargain, and that owl dinnerware is so nice.

There's a Goodwill store in Monroe, CT on the same street as my favorite supermarket, so I drop in now and then. There are usually many QVC items for sale, often with the tags still on.

Esteemed Contributor

I forget to check out the thrift stores but I donate to them frequently.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Last month I got DH an original Woolrich vest for less than $20 at American Rescue (similar to Goodwills). We had been to a Woolrich outlet store in PA a few weeks before and they had this same vest for $90. Savings - $70 plus. I have sometimes found clothes with the pockets still sewn shut and original tags still on for a small amount of money. Real finds!!!

I bought a set of four boxed Christmas Story mugs by Port Meirion Studio for $1.25. It appeared they were never used. The mugs say "Happy Christmas to All" on one side "And to all a Good Night" on the other side. Last week I checked the cost of mugs by this company and was shocked to find one mug was $12 or $48 for four mugs. Just look at my savings!!! Love it. I only wish I could find other pieces in this line -- plates, bowls, soup tureen, etc.

You never know what you'll find in these stores. My kitchen is Tuscany style and I've purchased many gently used items with grapes and/or black wrought iron décor. I receive many compliments on my décor and watch their faces with glee when I (sometimes) tell them where they came from. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

Earlier this year I stopped by Goodwill after a really disappointing art show, and within the first 10 seconds I found a sterling and turquoise belt buckle by a famous artist for all of $5.95. Since I pass by frequently, I should stop by more often even if the number of broken items on the shelves is discouraging. Congrats on the dishes.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

No. But many friends on another collecting message board I've been a member of for many years do . . . they find stuff that is worth hundreds of dollars on the secondary market. My sister does too. Sometimes she can turn 20 bucks worth of thrift store junk into 500.00 in eBay sales . . . she doesn't do it as much anymore . . . the market for some collectibles has really dived in the last 5 years or so . . . but she still has some great deals once in awhile.

Me. ZERO patience.

My sister says you have to look at a whole lot of junk . . . before you find the good stuff.

But she has the eye for it. She can spot a very small collectible . . . from 100 paces.

Me, I don't have the eye or knack for it. Or the patience.

Honored Contributor

A couple or so years ago, during our travels, we stopped by a fairly new looking Goodwill Store. It was fabulous. Neat, clean, just wonderful. In fact, the blouses/tops looked brand new. Many with tags. I'm guessing that the stores in that area donated items, since it seemed (to me, anyway. I really don't know for sure.) to be a new store/new location.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I do. As long as you don't have to have something specific at a specific time, thrift shopping is great.

There's little reason to expect a mass retailer to sell the goods at those prices, though. They're targeting people who want what they're selling when it's still new, when the exact color or size they want, is there, etc. I

BTW- no idea of OP's age, but ask about senior discount days at you Good Will. In my mine area, there's an extra 10% on senior days. However, if you see something you want on a different day, buy it because it probably won't last into a bigger discount.

lol - I just realized the pants I'm wearing right now came from a thrift shop. They were practically new when I brought them home and threw them in the washing machine. I think one of the reasons I don't mind paying $50 for something from Susan Graver or $200 from Eileen Fisher is that I average it out with something like these which were probably $3 or $3.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to Web search local GW and SA shops in my area today! Thanks for reminding me. We had one nearby many, many years ago, but it's no longer here. It was always packed with folks, too. Maybe the rent was much too high, I'm thinking. .... p.s. Sometimes when kitchen items 'disappear' (as Martha Stewart once or twice mentioned, lol), it's worth a look at GW, etc. I need quite a few baking supplies (SS loaf pans, etc.). I was going to buy a new stove/oven, but felt that it would be too much trouble searching/looking around for various baking items, lol. I don't care for non-stick anything now-a-days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).