Honored Contributor

Drunk Driver Kills At Christmas Concert

Throw the book at the driver and get the police out there to crack down on drunk drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if the stats on drunk driving aren't higher at this time of the year. This drunk driver continued on after hitting all those kids and adult women.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Three women were killed and two others critically injured when a suspected DUI driver plowed into people leaving a school Christmas concert in Redondo Beach, police said.

Thirteen people, including the suspect, were injured or killed in the crash Wednesday night outside St. James Catholic Church, police said. Five children, ages 5 to 14, were among those hurt.

Families and parishioners were leaving the concert when a car driven by 56-year-old Margo Bronstein rammed into the crowd. She continued driving and headed into the southbound lanes of Pacific Coast Highway, where she collided head-on with an SUV, police said.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Re: Drunk Driver Kills At Christmas Concert

Despite all the statistics, people (i.e. adults who should know better), still get behind the wheel drunk. I just don't get it. Why take the chance?

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Despite all the statistics, people (i.e. adults who should know better), still get behind the wheel drunk. I just don't get it. Why take the chance?

I don't know, I don't understand,either. Substance abuse and addiction is one thing, but to drink and drive is another thing, imo.

Since someone starts out sober, I don't get it why they don't build in a default system: take a cab, get a friend to drive, have one of those testers in the car.

Respected Contributor

On 12/18/2014 NoelSeven said:

I don't know, I don't understand,either. Substance abuse and addiction is one thing, but to drink and drive is another thing, imo.

Since someone starts out sober, I don't get it why they don't build in a default system: take a cab, get a friend to drive, have one of those testers in the car.

That would make way too much sense. No one wants to admit that they are impaired after drinking. They all think they're the only ones that can handle it. It's very sad, IMO.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I saw this horrific story this morning. So sad. I believe two of the dead were in their 80's. Such a tragic, senseless, loss. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

That would make way too much sense. No one wants to admit that they are impaired after drinking. They all think they're the only ones that can handle it. It's very sad, IMO.

I hope there comes a day when those testers that check to see if the driver is impaired will be in every car.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving has had some rocky times but I hope they're still around and active.

Respected Contributor

Horrible.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Pepper Minstix said:

I saw this horrific story this morning. So sad. I believe two of the dead were in their 80's. Such a tragic, senseless, loss. Smiley Sad

I did see that one of the women was 87 years old. I feel sad and angry at the same time. Such an innocent event... and it ends in tragedy {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Pepper Minstix said:

I did see that one of the women was 87 years old. I feel sad and angry at the same time. Such an innocent event... and it ends in tragedy {#emotions_dlg.crying}

-------------------------

My thoughts exactly. I think of how their families must feel, losing their loved ones, not to sickness or natural causes, but to an accident that should not have happened. Breaks my heart. They left their homes to attend a joyful celebration and instead lost their lives.

Respected Contributor

I hope there comes a day when those testers that check to see if the driver is impaired will be in every car.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving has had some rocky times but I hope they're still around and active.

That will certainly help, but I'm hearing that determined drunks will just have someone else breathe into the tester and start the car. It will no doubt save some lives, but there will drunks that will find a way around it, IMO.