Super Contributor

Do you give your dog or cat (or other furbabies) presents at Christmas? If so, do you wrap them? Do they get a stocking? In our home our dogs always had their own Christmas stocking hung on the mantel. We would stuff it with a bone and treats or toys, and yes, the gifts were wrapped so they could have some fun tearing off the paper. {#emotions_dlg.blush} I buy my dog treats all through the year, but I feel like they deserve Christmas presents like everyone else in the family.

Honored Contributor

Buster has a big Christmas bag (with a boxer on it) and all his toys go in the bag. We tip it over and he goes in and drags out all his goodies. His treats are in his stocking.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Last year was our first Christmas with our boy, and yes, he did get presents (toys and treats). We'd already had him for nearly a year already so any of the chew toys he'd had were getting worn out. Christmas seems like a good time to replace them and then the old ones become the toys we take to the kennel when we board him and the old kennel toys finally get pitched.

Honored Contributor

Our dogs get wrapped Christmas gifts - toys, treats, coats, etc. We get such a kick out of watching them open their gifts and they are so animated and excited about it. It's as much if not more fun than watching children.

We're really anxious about watching our 7 month old puppy this Christmas. Alfie loves toys. Oh, and treats too. Coats, not so much. Smile

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor
On 12/16/2014 Preds said:

Buster has a big Christmas bag (with a boxer on it) and all his toys go in the bag. We tip it over and he goes in and drags out all his goodies. His treats are in his stocking. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

This is the cutest pet post. I don't have my own pets, but I am a pet grammy and aunt to several. I've been known to bring a little wrapped toy for them. They always get named in the Christmas cards also, of course!

Respected Contributor

I have a cat and hubby and I adore him but we do not humanize him. He's an animal, he lives in his cat world. He doesn't know diddlysquat about Christmas or presents. He does like playing with the wrapping paper and boxes. I've had pets all my life and I never felt the need to give them presents. Years ago, I shared an office with a woman who had dogs. She didn't have many people in her life and she treated her dogs almost like children. I remember she kept insisting that I should buy somethings for my cat and I kept saying "no, we don't do that". Well, she felt so bad for my cat.....that she actually went out and bought him some cat toys and wrapped them up and gave them to me to put under my tree for Whisky. So he wouldn't feel bad... It was a sweet, very sweet thing to do. But also very silly because....how can a cat feel bad about not getting any Christmas presents? Although, that year, he did.

Super Contributor
On 12/16/2014 Preds said:

Buster has a big Christmas bag (with a boxer on it) and all his toys go in the bag. We tip it over and he goes in and drags out all his goodies. His treats are in his stocking. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Sounds like Buster has a very good Christmas. It is totally fun to watch them playing with their treats trying to decide what to have first. Makes you wonder if they are thinking how they can find a way to eat them all at once.

Anika, Alfie is such a lucky boy. I'm sure he will enjoy all his bounty. I'm not sure what Mia will make of Christmas, this will be her first too. She can always smell when I bring home a bone or treats for her so I won't put out her stocking until either Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. She's in that phase where she is chewing on everything so I'm sure she'll have a good time.

Respected Contributor

I don't buy them special treats because one is on a restricted diet and gets his kibble for treats; the other one's treats have to be ordered directly from the company. They each have a specific toy that they play with and any other toy is ignored. They each have a stocking that's really only for show. If they could reach them, they would drag the stockings down and have a field day playing with them!

Their gifts this year are a new harness and leash for each one and brand new stainless steel water bowls. They'll hate the harnesses and be fine with the water bowls. They'll get a little bacon after we eat brunch.

Respected Contributor

I would give my cats special toys, however they just ignore them and prefer to scratch the furniture for entertainment!

Honored Contributor

Love pet presents. Be careful about leaving (alone) toys with strings, elastic(s) with cats and birds. Dogs, too. Also, the ball/toy can't be too small for dogs. They can choke on a ball that is too small. Make sure it's a larger ball.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).