Trusted Contributor

Drinking alcohol on TV and movies?

I have noticed in recent weeks how many programs have characters drinking hard, dark liquor - probably supposed to be scotch or bourbon. Revenge, Blue Bloods, Scandal (the President, but Olivia we know loves red wine), NCIS, How to Get Away With Murder, movies, soap operas, mini-series, etc., many I can't remember, but it seems like it's there frequently. I find it interesting, since most people I know never drink hard liquor, but prefer wine, beer or vodka. They all "lightened up" years ago. But on TV and movies they bring out the decanter and glasses which are always at the ready, and always drink it "neat", no ice. They rarely bring out a bottle of wine or a beer which I think would be more realistic. Just an observation, but am I too sheltered, or do you think people still have hard liquor at the ready? Obviously it's still on the liquor store shelves, I just don't know anyone whose beverage of choice is hard liquor. Do you?
Honored Contributor

Re: Drinking alcohol on TV and movies?

I see a number of people buying hard liquor at our grocery store. I'm generalizing but it's usually an older man.
Honored Contributor

Me? I don't drink and really don't pay that much attention to what is used for rehydration on the TV shows we watch.
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

It bothers me more when I see actors smoking in movies. Blech!

Respected Contributor

I think on a lot of tv shows they drink beer and wine too. but I thought vodka is hard liquor.

Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 lovescats said:

I think on a lot of tv shows they drink beer and wine too. but I thought vodka is hard liquor.

we keep a fully stocked bar in our home, so yes, we drink alcohol......i dont call it hard liquor, but if i were to use the term then vodka would definitely come under that heading. i also drink wine and my s/o drinks beers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what people have. I don't drink alcohol. and neither do most of my friends and family.

My husband has a beer on occasion. (The micro brew kind of beer not the beer on commercials. which he says is gross) Anyway, he has a case of beer with lots of beer in it yet from last Christmas..lol..

I do think tv glorifies alcohol. They should come down on the drinkers like they have the smokers IMO. Alcohol causes lots of health problems, deaths, etc. too, not just cigarettes.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Vodka IS hard liquor.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I guess it doesn't bother me because it doesn't seem to come under my radar. I think some folks don't realize the difference between having drinks and being an alcoholic. For many (most) people, having drinks does not constitute a problem.

Now, that said, I've been re-watching Mad Men from the beginning. Wow! So MUCH drinking and smoking, like all the time, from everybody. Pregnant women drinking and smoking - drinking and driving galore. But then, it takes place in the early 60s to late 60s, so it's not surprising.

Trusted Contributor

One of the latest surveys reports that the least wanted gift for xmas is hard liquor.... so I don't think your fears are justified.