Honored Contributor

Uh oh, this may be trouble!! Need expert help!!

A pop-up that won't go away stating "Software Update Available." Just words with no logos or anything, and no way to delete it. Supposedly it a "new and improved Internet bowser." One cannot right click on it, the only available box is "OK," which of course I am not going to do. I have rebooted several times and it keeps coming back.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas on how I should handle it? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Uh oh, this may be trouble!! Need expert help!!

A virus? Shut down your computer and get some expert help from a techie.

Valued Contributor

Ford, I have no idea what that is; maybe you could repost this in the electronics forum for more advanced help?

Hope you are doing ok. Haven't 'seen' you here in awhile or maybe I'm just missing your posts.

Respected Contributor

Can you run a virus scan?

Trusted Contributor

You haven't, by any chance, downloaded an Adobe update recently? I got a ton of garbage on my new laptop and my iMac with the last Adobe update.

I got it all cleaned off of my laptop, but it totally froze my iMac. I have Norton's, so I called them and they were very helpful. In fact, they were the ones that asked me if I had installed an Adobe update recently. Anyway, their CS rep was extremely knowledgeable and he walked me through the steps to remove it and get my machine running again.

I'm staying away from Adobe updates for a while.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 only shops online said:

You haven't, by any chance, downloaded an Adobe update recently? I got a ton of garbage on my new laptop and my iMac with the last Adobe update.

I got it all cleaned off of my laptop, but it totally froze my iMac. I have Norton's, so I called them and they were very helpful. In fact, they were the ones that asked me if I had installed an Adobe update recently. Anyway, their CS rep was extremely knowledgeable and he walked me through the steps to remove it and get my machine running again.

Unfortunately yes I did. I resisted it for a long while and have removed the update from my programs list. I can't believe this appeared right after that. I will call McAfee and see if they can help. Thank you so much. I'll let you know if it works.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 kdgn said:

Can you run a virus scan?

Yes I did and it shows nothing.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 12/14/2014 HisElk said:

Ford, I have no idea what that is; maybe you could repost this in the electronics forum for more advanced help?

Hope you are doing ok. Haven't 'seen' you here in awhile or maybe I'm just missing your posts.

I posted in the Electronics forum also. I did get some responses there too. Thanks, HisElk.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I read something negative about Ad*be updates a couple of years ago. So I have NEVER updated it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

On 12/14/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 12/14/2014 only shops online said:

Unfortunately yes I did. I resisted it for a long while and have removed the update from my programs list. I can't believe this appeared right after that. I will call McAfee and see if they can help. Thank you so much. I'll let you know if it works.

If it was adware from the Adobe update, you'll need to do more than just remove the update. There are some programs that will remove adware, but I've never tried them. With the help of my husband, who was out of town when my incidents happened, we went into my list of Programs and uninstalled all of that garbage. Once you become familiar with what the adware looks like, in your Programs list, you'll recognize it right away and be able to remove it yourself.

If you're not sure, just Google the program name and you'll be able to find out what it is. Most of your normal system programs are very easy to recognize.

Good luck!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"