Respected Contributor

Do you tip your mailman during the holiday season?

I was just wondering what an appropriate amount would be? I usually give him a gift card but my neighbor claims they are not allowed to take tips. Is that true because I have noticed he always accepts it???

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you tip your mailman during the holiday season?

I am not going to tip the mailman for doing a job for which he is paid well for.

Respected Contributor

I think they can accept gifts with a value of $25 or less. I don't do anything for my home mail carrier (I never see him/her), but I always give the one who delivers mail to our office a tin of Virginia Diner Chocolate Covered Peanut brittle. I know he loves it, and won't buy it for himself. He's always so cheerful and upbeat, and will go the extra mile for us without being asked!

Respected Contributor

Tip the mailman? No I wouldn't have considered doing it.
Honored Contributor

Hi SR - personally no just because we seem to have many different carriers throughout the year. But, you made me curious, so I found on the USPS site (you can gift them but never cash or the equivalent and not over $20 per occasion):

<h3 class="H3 head3">Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy</h3>

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Empl...­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

Respected Contributor

On 12/4/2014 Shaunac said:

I am not going to tip the mailman for doing a job for which he is paid well for.

Mine goes the extra mile and when I want to return a package, he always brings it to the Post Office for me. I guess you could say that I really appreciate the service he gives me. He also rings the bell if I get a package that doesn't fit into the mailbox. He never throws packages around like our UPS guy does. If we are not home, he puts it between the screen door and the front door.

He is all that is right with the Post Office.Smile

Respected Contributor

On 12/4/2014 MJ 12 said:

Hi SR - personally no just because we seem to have many different carriers throughout the year. But, you made me curious, so I found on the USPS site (you can gift them but never cash or the equivalent and not over $20 per occasion):

<h3 class="H3 head3">Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy</h3>

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

Thanks, MJ. I guess my carrier never read that.. I was completely unaware. Thanks for the heads up.Smile

Trusted Contributor

From USPS.com:

Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

Public Relations, Corporate Communications

Respected Contributor

On 12/4/2014 Shaunac said:

From USPS.com:

Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

Public Relations, Corporate Communications

Thanks, Shaunac. Smile

Super Contributor

No. In years gone by, we had a mail lady that loved Oreo Cookies so I'd buy her the Holiday Tin of Oreo's with a cute scene on the front and a nice poem on the back of the tin. We don't have her anymore so I haven't done anything for our new mail man. As many packages as I get, I should probably get him a little something.