Super Contributor

With all the new warnings out there about major retailers, etc. being at risk of being hacked over the holidays, I'm thinking about getting a prepaid credit card for my special holiday purchases. Even with the activation fee and/or other fees associated with it, seems like a safe way to go for the next few months. I've replaced our normal credit cards way too many times the past year due to the Target breach, the Office Depot breach.........!

Super Contributor

Cash will do too.

Honored Contributor

I've had one attempt already. Fortunately, the retailer caught it and cancelled the order.

I would be even more vigilant than ever about watching checking accounts and credit card accounts!

Honored Contributor
Supposedly we will be getting safer cc cards in 2015 like Europe already has. We always seem to be behind in technology anymoreSmiley Sad
Honored Contributor
On 12/3/2014 tansy said: Supposedly we will be getting safer cc cards in 2015 like Europe already has. We always seem to be behind in technology anymoreSmiley Sad

We just got new cards from AmEx with the chip technology.

Honored Contributor
On 12/3/2014 CelticCrafter said:
On 12/3/2014 tansy said: Supposedly we will be getting safer cc cards in 2015 like Europe already has. We always seem to be behind in technology anymoreSmiley Sad

Is your card connected to Costco? I hope we get sent new ones.

Honored Contributor
On 12/3/2014 tansy said:
On 12/3/2014 CelticCrafter said:

Is your card connected to Costco? I hope we get sent new ones.

No tansy it's not the Costco AmEx.

I had gotten an e-mail from them telling me they were going to be sending new ones out.

My husbands arrived on Friday, usually we get them together. When mine hadn't arrived by Monday, I called them and they said they would send mine.

I think the reason they only sent one out is because he uses his a lot more than I use mind and maybe they felt it wasn't necessary.

Maybe give them a call and see if they will send you replacements.

Honored Contributor
Thanks, CelticCrafter. I wish you hadn't quoted me so I could have corrected my horrendous grammar. LOL.
Super Contributor

The problem is you really can't be "careful" enough. If a large retailer is hacked and you've used any credit card there, your card is compromised. Not your fault. It can happen to any store you do business in/with.

The thought of carrying around big wads of cash to make purchases doesn't seem safe around the holidays to me either.

So ...

Honored Contributor
On 12/3/2014 JuJu Squeezie said:

Cash will do too.

As much as I love using my credit cards so that I have an easy way to categorize my spending, I'm moving to cash as much as possible, too.