Trusted Contributor

My son is officially off duty and on his way home.

Some things I did not know: Because it was a State emergency, he did not receive his regular military pay. Instead, he was paid as a state employee, which is significantly less. Also, if he had been injured, the military would not have covered his medical expenses. Instead, he would have had to file a worker's comp case with the state. One more thing--he actually had to use a week of his vacation time at his regular job (again because it was a state emergency and not national). I don't think beautiful downtown Ferguson was where had planned to vacation this year. On the upside, he feels like he made a personal (and positive) difference to the business owners in that city.
Honored Contributor

Re: My son is officially off duty and on his way home.

CardinalGirl......so sorry to read this about your DS......There are a lot of things not fair, and this is one of them......

Imagine he is glad his stint is over......and imagine he will have some interesting things to tell you.... Bet he could write a book......

Thankfully he didn't get injured. Please be sure to thank him for me for his services...... And now you can get some rest yourself.......no more being on pins and needles, and waiting for his next phone call.

Honored Contributor

CG ... I'm glad to see that your son is headed home. Responders like him are responsible for their on care. Hate it, but that is our truth. So thankful that he is safe. Blessings to you and him.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

CG, I think all the "new" news your son is facing or faced suks big time. So disappointing and so unfair for him.

I'm glad he is off duty.

Thank him for doing his job and his sacrifices.

As his mom, I can only imagine how glad you are he is coming home.

If I don't "see" you soon, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

I am very glad, Show Me! He was working at least 15 hours a day, much of it at night, in the bitter cold. And he is one of the lucky ones. Even though he lost quite a bit of money in wages this week, he is single and has good savings. I feel badly for those members of the guard who have families to support, who probably couldn't afford to take a pay cut--especially this time of year.
Honored Contributor

Wow...that is awful...so happy to hear that wasn't a necessity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

Great news that he is on his way home safe and sound. That is priceless. I am happy for you and your family CardinalGirl!

Valued Contributor

Wow. Glad he's safe but sorry he got so many financial hits.

Respected Contributor

Thats not right or fair! I'm glad your son is now finished with the job and is safe ~ hsa
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to read this CG. More people should know about this. It isn't right. But it's good news that he's going home now.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____