Frequent Contributor

Charities at the the checkout register

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Today I was making a small purchase at a chain housewares store and was asked if I wanted to donate to such-and-such charity. Depending on my mood, I can say "yes" or "no". Today was a "no" day because, for some reason, it just bothered me to be asked for money when I just came by to buy an item. I'm practically accosted on the streets daily by people asking for "spare change" and I'm sure the cashier must have to repeat the charity-contribution request at least a hundred times a day.

I do major year-end contributions for tax purposes, primarily to animal causes, and have been known to flip tens during my daily travels to those who ask and look like they might need it--and I don't mean to sound condescending. I don't know why this was a minor irk for me today (probably because they are MAJOR retailers than reap tax benefits) and I was wondering what posters thought.

Contributor

Re: Charities at the the checkout register

They are annoying and I never give, just like the ones outside the door.

Super Contributor

The places that do the local food pantry I give $1.00 each time. That includes the grocery store. By the end of the season I'll end up donating about $50 (just guessing)

I see it on the register as designated to the charity.

My issue is the bookkeeping, but I try to not be skeptical and just do it. Would I rather buy a grocery gift card? I don't know. Who knows who would actually end up with that?!

....and you don't have to PROVE small donations, so add it to your own tax list if you want to!

Honored Contributor

I just say yes or no, depending on what is being asked. Same reaction when a mailer comes or a person calls, etc. I don't expend my energy getting irked.

I also don't get too exercised about any tax benefit - when I gave to a food pantry via my supermarket, my money didn't show up on my receipt as just food - it had a separate category, They obviously might get away with scamming and taking a tax deduction for my money, but that would be some dangerous thing to do. Imagine the fallout if that were caught - and it would be so easy to do once the register tape shows the amount as a donation.

Overall, I think the real reason I don't get irked is that in my own mind I know pretty clearly what I want to say yes to and what I don't. And I certainly agree with those who say the cashiers rarely, rarely have a choice - assuming they need their jobs. Been there, done that!

Respected Contributor

I usually say yes, b/c I am fortunate in life and it's usually only a little donation.

Also, the cashiers sometimes get perks if they do well at fundraising. I wouldn't like to have customers say "no" to me all day long. They are all about feeding the hungry at my supermarket and a small donation to food banks and such doesn't bother me.

I've never been asked at a housewares store, though.

Esteemed Contributor

They usually are good charities but I have no problem saying no if I do not wish to contribute. I am very polite about it, however.

Esteemed Contributor

I do planned giving so no, I don't donate in this manner.

First, how do I know that donation is going to whom it's supposed to get to?

Second, it's not just stores.....now the fast food drive thru are asking you to donate to some unknown/unheard of charity.

When I buy a coffee at the drive thru at Mickey D's I donate the change to Ronald McDonald House. That's the extent of my drive thru donations.

Honored Contributor

I'm like you, OP. Some days I say yes, other days, no. Usually my no days are when I've already been to several other stores, and been asked (and donated) at each of them, too!
Respected Contributor

I usually give to the red kettles -- Salvation Army. I always have spare change and I know that its going to my local one.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I give occasionally at the grocery store, but only occasionally. The more different causes they come up with every other week, the less likely I am to say yes. I am most likely to give to food banks or similar, when I feel like it. They are going to do overkill with hitting people up constantly, and it's going to backfire at some point. ETA i do also give to the Salvation Army this time of year, even though unlike in my youth when all kettles were manned by actual members, now they pay random people to watch the kettles. Not crazy about that as I'm never entirely sure the money gets where it ought to.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all