Respected Contributor

I went online to research electric vs gas costs - which is higher? I got nowhere. I didn't get a pat answer just a bunch of rambling.

Does anyone know which is more efficient when it comes to cooking and heating?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor
Your utility company can help. Call them
Super Contributor

IF I was building a new home . . . I'd go GeoThermal. More expensive upfront, long term savings for home heating and cooling.

For cooking . . . I don't like cooking with natural gas. I prefer electric. Hate turning on the burners at my parents home with gas stove. I guess I'd get use to it but I don't like it so wouldn't go out and seek it for my home.

Respected Contributor

Natural gas vs. electric appliances calculators. Costs vary according to region and appliances used.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/gas.html

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I have a gas range have had them in our home since I was a child we never had a electric range. I've been in this home for 54 years and have only had gas ranges I would never have electric to cook with. My sister has always had electric ranges and she hates them. She is talking about having a gas line put in were her electric range is and putting in a gas range. My niece says it costs a lot more to have a electric (all) home. My daughter says she thinks when you put all things together either gas or electric cost about the same. My home is heated with gas and I like it. My friend recently built a new home and had a electric heat pump put in the home they love it and say that is the best investment they did. I guess it all depends were you are living as to what your cost will be . I am in Pa.

Regular Contributor
I love cooking and heating with gas. Also gas hot water heater/ventless hot water. I think it is what you are accustomed to. I was used to all electric, but once we had gas, I don't think I could go back.
Honored Contributor

If I was cooking I would use gas over electric. You have more control over the food and the temperature instantly drops down to where you want it with gas stoves. Electric stoves you have to wait till the grill cools down and wait for the drop in the temperature of the heating element.

I grew up with an electric stove and when I moved into a place that had gas, loved it due to the ease of controlling the heat.

Re: heating-- right now gas heat is turning out to be cheaper over oil heat. I would never get electric heat because if you had a power outage in the winter, there would be no way to get the heat on unless you had a generator hooked up somehow.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

In Michigan natural gas is less expensive than electricity. I thought gas was less throughout the USA, but I could be wrong.

We heat our home with gas. Our range is dual-fuel. Gas burners with an electric oven. It's a Wolf and it's awesome. They offer a simmer on the burners. The flame is so low that I can place a piece of paper on the burner and it will not catch fire. That oven was our best purchase we ever made.

Trusted Contributor
Gas is cheaper. I've never heard of anyone choosing electric over gas.
Honored Contributor

I like cooking with gas, although, it seems to me that electric appliances might be safer, as long as the entire neighborhood/community operates on electric. Something about gas lines everywhere bothers me, for whatever reason.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).