Trusted Contributor

iPhone 6....... Is it worth trading my iPhone 4s in?

My contract is up, and I am tempted by the regular iPhone 6. Right now Staples is offering $200 for an old iPhone trade in on the 6. Does anyone own the 6, and if so, how do you like it? Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: iPhone 6....... Is it worth trading my iPhone 4s in?

I'm not one to get a new phone or gadget just because my contract is up or a new model comes out. If the one I have still works, I'll keep it. That being said, I upgraded from a 16GB 4s to a 64GB 6 and couldn't be happier. My 4s still worked, but I couldn't get it to update to the new IOS no matter what I tried, including deleting a bunch of stuff from the phone. The processor on the 6 is much faster and the camera is fantastic. I did all of the setup and transfer of data between phones in the cloud and it couldn't have been easier. If you've run the numbers and it makes sense to you financially, I'd say go for the update.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/28/2014 FrostyBabe said: I'm not one to get a new phone or gadget just because my contract is up or a new model comes out. If the one I have still works, I'll keep it. That being said, I upgraded from a 16GB 4s to a 64GB 6 and couldn't be happier. My 4s still worked, but I couldn't get it to update to the new IOS no matter what I tried, including deleting a bunch of stuff from the phone. The processor on the 6 is much faster and the camera is fantastic. I did all of the setup and transfer of data between phones in the cloud and it couldn't have been easier. If you've run the numbers and it makes sense to you financially, I'd say go for the update.

Thanks for your thoughts, FrostyBabe! I'm just like you as far as keeping my phone. I'm not having any big problems with my phone right now, but I haven't updated to the newest ios yet. I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably always going to have a contract. If I'm eligible for an upgrade now (while the iPhone 6 is still new) I should probably just get it instead of waiting till my phone no longer works. Decisions.....ugh!!!

Respected Contributor

Do you want a bigger phone? That is the main thing to consider.

About 8 months ago I had an Samsung S2 that worked perfectly, but I wanted a bigger phone. I upgraded to the Note 3 and I love it, but mainly because of the size.

Super Contributor

On 11/28/2014 sue98 said:

My contract is up, and I am tempted by the regular iPhone 6. Right now Staples is offering $200 for an old iPhone trade in on the 6. Does anyone own the 6, and if so, how do you like it? Thanks!

i am in the same situation - my contract was up in september and i have a 4s. everyone i know with the 6 loves it. i will upgrade after the new year. i am still happy with my 4s and have no problems with it. it looks brand new because i have had it in an otterbox since day one. we got our son a new phone last month that is the size of the 6 and i really like the size of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I traded in my 4 for a 5s. Didn't want the larger sized phone i6. I am not that impressed with Apple products and neither is my husband. I don't use or need many of the features but I do have to have a phone for emergencies and urgent info. I will wait a year to see if the i6 has removed some of the bugs.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Before you make any firm decisions, make sure exactly what your old phone is worth. I have found that the "advertised" buy back amounts don't apply to older products. Best Buy also runs these teaser ads.

Super Contributor

I went from the iPhone 4 to the 6+ and I love it. It's a great phone, extremely fast and I don't think its too big at all. Our daughter has the Samsung S5 and the 6+ is slightly larger.

I like the wider screen in the 6+ compared to the 6

What I did was get the dimensions of both phones, measured it out and cut out the templates, Compared the 2 different sizes and chose which was one worked best for what I want.

Trusted Contributor

My contract has been up for a while. But I'm not getting a new iPhone until my 4 doesn't work any longer. So far it's okay with the updates.
Super Contributor

I think if you can afford the upgrade price for the updated phone, and want it, then go for it. If funds aren't available at the moment, since all is still working fine with what you have, stay put.

I would think though, that the 4s will be dropped from the line next year, So keep that in mind. At some point you'll have to seriously think about replacement. The 6 will be a dramatic difference from the 4s...you will think you were living in the stone ages using the 4s, LOL.

Just so you know, you don't have to immediately upgrade when your contract ends. A few years ago, I went about 2 years after contract ending to upgrade to a new phone. I still paid the same monthly phone bill charges, as if I were in contract. But my phone that I had at the time worked fine, and I had no reason to upgrade to something else. So don't feel pressured to upgrade to something new now just because your contract is up. But...because I think the 4s will be dropped from he line next year, I would seriously think about replacing it before 2015 ends. And....who knows, maybe by then the 6 will be at a much cheaper upgrade price (free???). Of course, by that time the 7 will be out (or 6s), LOL.