Respected Contributor

She was such an accomplished successful woman. Heartbreaking to see her going through this.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/26/famed-nyc-restaurateur-former-model-b-smith-is-missing/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Celebrated New York restaurant owner and former model Barbara Smith, better known as B. Smith, was found Wednesday afternoon after going missing for 18 hours.

Smith, 65, was located at La Parisien restaurant on East 33rd Street in Manhattan, with blisters on her feet after a night of wandering through brutal weather, CBS 2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

Smith, who has Alzheimer’s disease, was last seen Tuesday afternoon. She boarded the Hampton jitney on 59th Street, while husband Dan Gasby waited in Sag Harbor, but she never arrived at their meeting point. He spent a frantic night and day on the phone with police amid reports of sightings in Southampton.

Gasby, who was informed by his daughter that Smith was in New York City, told Gusoff he was relieved his wife had been found.

“I am just so happy. I just want to hug her … want her back home,” Gasby said. “She has challenges, but she’s not the typical person that walks off. She’s never done that before.”

Smith’s family learned that she never made it to Long Island, as was initially intended. She got off a bus on 40th Street and then somehow got to Staten Island and then back to Manhattan. She has no memory of where she was, Gusoff reported.

At their Sag Harbor home, which is filled with photos documenting Smith’s trail-blazing career, Gasby was overcome with relief.

“I don’t know how she got back in the city, but she’s back in the city and that’s all that counts,” Gasby said, adding that Thursday will be the best Thanksgiving of his life.

The $60 Smith had with her was missing when she was found, Gusoff reported.

Smith discussed her disease with Dr. Jon LaPook in an interview that aired in June on CBS News Sunday Morning.

“Even with Alzheimer’s, I think that things are gonna work out,” Smith said in June. “I’m gonna do my best to make it work out for me, and for as many people that I can possibly help, too.”

In 1986, Smith opened a restaurant in New York City, others followed. She hosted a television program, and put her name on home products.

/></p> <p>B. Smith and her husband Dan Gatsby taken last year.</p>

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I heard this story last night on TV and asked myself- with a diagnosis like Alzheimer's why didn't someone accompany her on the bus so she could get to her destination safely?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I saw this on the news yesterday. I was so relieved to see that she was found safe. That interview with her from last June was just heartbreaking.

I'm so glad that she's got such a loving husband. She is going to need a lot of love and care as time goes by.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I'm not familiar with them, but I'm sure glad she's safe.

What a stunning couple!

Honored Contributor
Well thank goodness....maybe now the family will realize that she has AD and not to leave her alone.....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor
I'm glad she's home safe. The segment on Sunday Morning was heart wrenching.
Honored Contributor
I wouldn't be too harsh on the family. It's quite possible that until this incident she has been able to be relatively independent. I do remember her and I remember watching her television show.
Honored Contributor
Sorry. D/P.
Honored Contributor

I have seen her items ar BedBathBeyond, nice line of serving pieces, trays, etc. Very sad.

Super Contributor

omg! this is the first i have heard of it. i did not even know she had Alzheimer’s disease!!

i used to watch her show ""B.Smith with Style"" on the weekends years ago. long before all the DIY and decor channels came along! so sad.