Trusted Contributor

Stores open on Thanksgiving?

My DH works retail, but for the first time in years he doesn't have to work on Thanksgiving! We can have a traditional, relaxing day with family and friends, instead of eating out early so he could get some rest before going in and working from 8 pm to 11 am the next day! So we are SO thankful for that, and once again I wish to protest how stores are opening earlier and earlier on Thanksging and staying open through the night. Seriously, what can you buy at 3 am that you can't buy at 8 am the next day? Actually last year DH was sent home at 3 am because there were no customers, other than the initial frenzy. I wish that Thanksgiving could be respected for the family day it was meant to be, to have time to reflect on what we are grateful for, instead of an excuse for the retailers to make it all about money! I realize that some people work that day because they can make some money that they ordinarily wouldn't, but that just makes my point. It shouldn't have to be that way, it never was before. Employers paid you for the day because they were grateful to have you! Now they think that WE are the lucky ones that they gave us the jobs! Thanksging is just becoming all about money and "bargains" and I just think that's very sad. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Respected Contributor

Re: Stores open on Thanksgiving?

I don't care if stores are open and people shop on Thanksgiving, but I do feel sorry for the employees who are forced to work.

How does the pay work? Do they get triple time--paid holiday time plus double time for working? (Probably not, but I've always wondered if it was well worth it to work.)

Respected Contributor

I worked late on New Year's Eve for years because contracts had to be completed before the 1st. I was salaried. I didn't get a bonus. None of us complained.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Our family owned restaurants. We always had to work holidays. Nobody complained.

Respected Contributor

My boys have worked on Thanksgiving every year since they were 16.

We just work around it.

Dinner rarely lasts 24 hours.

(and today we have to work around the Eagles game, lol)

Super Contributor

On 11/27/2014 brii said:

Our family owned restaurants. We always had to work holidays. Nobody complained.

what is the use??? that energy could be used for something else!

happy thanksgiving brii!!

Honored Contributor

SmileHappy Thanksgiving, shesallthat!

Super Contributor

Many professions have required employees to work over Thanksgiving through the years. Now because some retail employees have to do it, it's a thing? My dad was an employee for the local electrical utility and was often "on call" and responding to trouble calls on holidays, including Thanksgiving dinner time and Christmas morning. Never once did our family declare our holiday ruined or some other such nonsense. But can you imagine the caterwauling that would have gone on if he had simply said "Sorry, it's a holiday - my employer should be paying me for today because they appreciate me but I'm not going to actually work." Judging how posters complain on these boards over the most minuscule things, I can only imagine the trauma and complaints about the "selfish, greedy utility company" if someone's lights were out and no one came to get them back on.
Honored Contributor

We've also had family members required to work holidays due to their profession.

As far as stores go, I only see them becoming greedier and making people work more as the years go by.

Valued Contributor

we're all online. do people consider those who maintain the internet workers as well?

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel