Super Contributor

Gals from Florida, I need advice

i am going to Florida on December 19th for 2 weeks. This is the first time I will be in Florida in December. What do I pack? Summer cloths, or in between cloths. I will be going to southeast Florida near ft lauderdale. Thanks for your advice and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gals from Florida, I need advice

Ditzi, I'm glad you are going to visit Florida since I seem to remember that you were thinking of moving there. My own guess would be in-between clothes, rather than actual summer clothes. I lived in Boca Raton for a bit but it was a long time ago. You might go to the Florida forums on a site called City Data and do a search or post questions. Have fun!
Super Contributor

I would bring clothes that you can layer. Yes, it can get chilly even in SW Florida (lol), but I wouldn't pack a parka or anything. You would be better off in layers that you can shed throughout the day as it warms up. I hope you enjoy yourself!

Trusted Contributor

^^^ What Colonel Meow said. Dress for layers. One day it might be 48 and the next day it will be 84. I love it here. Have fun!
Super Contributor

Best bet check the 10 day or 14 day forecast before you pack.

Honored Contributor

I live in SW Florida and this year has been unusually chilly here - normally we would be about 80 degrees today but we are predicted to have a high today of only 70 and it is 56 right now. My advice would be to bring your warm weather clothing as normally that is what we have in south Fl. in Dec. but also bring some long pants and some jackets in case you need them.

Normally when we get back from Pa I put away my long pants and sweatshirts until about Jan/Feb but this year they are still out in my closet.The first year DH & I spent the entire winter here was 2010 and it was cool that year too - I had only brought 1 jacket and no long pants and I was certainly sorry.

I hope you have good weather, but be prepared.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much, ladies. I was thinking capris, jeans, short sleeve tops and a hooded jacket. Does that sound good? And, of course, my bathing suit.
Respected Contributor

Florida Varies by where you are located. I live in North Florida and the high today is only 60 and there are freeze warnings for tonight. I would bring some sandals, comfy shoes and socks. Some casual clothes, jeans, I would bring a light jacket (maybe a jacket that you would wear for fall if you are from the North). Wear Tee shirts under your cloths so you can layer and remover layers if need be.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/27/2014 ditzy dori said: Thanks so much, ladies. I was thinking capris, jeans, short sleeve tops and a hooded jacket. Does that sound good? And, of course, my bathing suit.

Hi DD: This is EXACTLY what you should bring.

I live in SE Florida, about 15 minutes by car south of Ft. Lauderdale, so the temperature is the same. I depends on whether or not your body is on the cold side or warm.

For example: Right now it's 66 outside. My neighbor is wallking her dog and wearing long pants and a sweater. I am wearing shorts and a T shirt. Soooooo, I would tell you to bring short sleeved tops, capris, shorts, bathing suits, etc., and a light sweater or hoodie (just one).... This of course, depends on whether or not you are staying with people or at a hotel and mostly eating at home or out.....

We are very casual here in Florida. We go shopping in shorts and the younger people wear bathing suits.

This is JMO of course and I'm sure not everyone agrees with me. I have never had to "layer" my clothes. If I did, I would be wearing nothing.

Hope you have a good time - it would also be wise to watch the temperature on the TV and go by that. So far, we have not had any really cold spells but you never know when that will happen......Smile

Maybe you could post again a day or two before you leave and I could give you the current temps.......{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

Thanks sophiemarie. I tend to be hot all the time. So I'll just pack a little of both. We bought a condo down there. I have 2 weeks off for Christmas (I work in a school.). I will retire in June and Florida, here we come. I can't wait. Happy thanksgiving to you and yours.