Respected Contributor

I just got an e-mail from my "hair dresser." It said she was in Russia and someone stole her purse. She needed money to pay for her hotel and plane ticket home, etc., and would pay me back when she got home!

I instantly recognized this as a scam. Just wanted to pass this along to viewpointers as a warning!

Super Contributor

I've heard about the phone calls that are similar but not emails. Not surprising though. If these people turned their very active imaginations and energy to legitimate work they'd be loaded! Thanks for the warning.

Respected Contributor

I wonder how they got my hairdresser's name so it would be someone I knew! The cyber world is a scary place!!!

Honored Contributor
On 11/26/2014 Fortune said:

I wonder how they got my hairdresser's name so it would be someone I knew! The cyber world is a scary place!!!

Scary is right. I never imagined they had a name when I read your post.

Did you pay via credit or debit? If so, they may have hacked into that account. Even so, would that have given them a name?

Super Contributor

Someone hijacked my hotmail account several years ago and used it to send similar emails to everyone in my address book. Unfortunately for the scammer, I only had a handful of people in my address book, and one of them was my own other account, so I got the scammy email from "myself".

Your poor hairdresser has lost her email account. I had a really hard time getting it back, Microsoft's "help" people were unsympathetic.

Honored Contributor

This hoax is old enough that it has a name:

It's called the "Stranded Traveler" scam.

It's been around for years, and you can do an internet search to read about it.

The hoaxer gets access to your friend's contact list, either in their email or social media (usually Facebook), and that's how they know the email addresses and the reason her name is listed as the sender.

Good to have a heads up for those who have never heard of it. Thanks, Fortune!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing. My pastor/spiritual leader got their facebook/email hacked and a blanket e-mail was sent out to all the members pleading for money as he was stuck in the Philippines. He was home sleeping in.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

One of many articles:

Stranded Traveler Appeal Scams

link goes to: http://www.spamlaws.com/traveler-appeal-scams.html

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.angry} They're getting more creative, aren't they?

Respected Contributor
On 11/26/2014 dooBdoo said:

One of many articles:

Stranded Traveler Appeal Scams

link goes to: http://www.spamlaws.com/traveler-appeal-scams.html

Thanks, dooBdoo!! As usual, you provide such helpful info!!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}