Trusted Contributor

How to interview a Lawyer for possible work?

I unfortunately have to get some legal help for a visitation problem (grandparent visit). My state does have grandparent rights.

What questions are ok to ask without insulting the attorney? I am not wanting someone who has not done a lot of cases in this particular area, and waste my money.

I also don't want to make it sound like I feel he/she is incompetent either. I have 3 lined up to talk to, but I have never needed a lawyer. Feeling a intimidated.

Respected Contributor

Re: How to interview a Lawyer for possible work?

Insulting an attorney? I'm not sure that's ever happened. Ever.

Ask away IMO. It's your money.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Nothing you will say will insult the attorney. I work for several and they always start off the initial consultation with, Okay, what can we do to help you - tell us your story.

There is nothing wrong at all with asking them if they have a lot of experience in a certain area of practice. Missouri has grandparent's rights as well and we handle a few such cases each year.

Super Contributor

You are hiring a professional at a substantial personal cost to you (I'm assuming). It is your right and responsibility to scrutinize their expertise and evaluate their level of competency to the best of your ability.

You would be doing yourself a disservice by walking on eggshells and being afraid to question them and address your concerns. I can sympathize with you, because I imagine it probably would be a bit intimidating to "vet" a lawyer. But you must. Best of luck to you on this endeavor!

Esteemed Contributor

Ask if they have handled cases concerning grandparents rights before and what the outcome was of the cases they handled. These are legitimate questions you should be asking.
Respected Contributor

I would do a Google search on those you are interviewing. See if anything good or bad comes up.

I gather you have already determined that your short-list folks do grandparent's rights and are in good standing with the bar groups in your area.

With a lawyer I would _briefly_ say what the trouble is (lawyers like concision) and ask what the approach would be. If what he/she says back makes no sense, look elsewhere. You want someone who is a good explainer.

I would ask if the laws on these matters are changing, what the chances are of your case being viable, and what the ball park time-line is.

Contributor

You could start by finding an attorney who is "AV rated." This denotes an attorney preeminent in her/his field. I would also suggest you look for an attorney who concentrates in domestic law practice only, rather than one who takes all comers. Also important to find one in your same area who knows the judges and the quirks of local procedures in that area.
Honored Contributor

They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us! Don't forget that. Ask whatever questions you like, hope the consolations (being firsts, are free). But if you have someone who will represent you and get personal and you'll be paying them, just talk to them and ask whatever you need to know. That is why you're seeking their help in the first place. We're all human. Picture them in a corn field, if you need to, with no clothes on. Takes them right down to first base!

Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

Insulting an attorney? I'm not sure that's ever happened. Ever.

Ask away IMO. It's your money.

I am married to one, and yes he is human and if you "insult" him or any other attorney, they will consider the source and realize you probably need more help than you think!

BTW, never pay for a consultation!

Honored Contributor

I work for attorneys. Absolutely they can be and have been insulted. Not by someone ""interviewing"" them about a possible case but after we've been retained.