Respected Contributor

My DD & DS tell me that punctuations such as commas, semi-colons, question/exclamation marks, etc. are not necessary when texting.

I have always done my best to use punctuation where appropriate. Most of my close friends are journalists, writers, teachers and librarians. I would be mortified sending a text with no capitalization and punctuations.

The issue is I just got a new (albeit old-school) cell phone when my trusty phone finally gave up and wouldn't accept incoming calls. And, of course, the only button that doesn't work is the punctuation key. So, in the meantime, I'm simply not texting unless my replies are going to my DD & DS (LOL!).

Will be stopping by T-Mobile tomorrow to look into the non-functioning key.

So - is punctuation important to you when texting?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor
I use punctuation.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

So do I!

Valued Contributor

I think it's important if you are texting more than a sentence. For me, it's too hard to understand a paragraph without punctuation. I guess I confuse easily.Lol

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Valued Contributor

I think punctuation is important for the tone of the text too.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

I use punctuation. I capitalize words and use correct spelling too.

Honored Contributor

Nope. No caps. Periods only. I'm back in college and texting is a form of shorthand.

Esteemed Contributor

My kids laugh when I capitalize. I'm trying to get out of the habit. It's not just texting, just look at the spelling & grammar on these boards.

Honored Contributor

no caps and pretty much only a period, question mark, or an exclamation point.....and sometimes abbreviated words like "ur" for "your".

so to answer your question, no, punctuation in texts in not that important to me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't text. I'm "very" old school, and I hate it even on these boards, when people type "u" for "you", or "ur" for "you're", don't use any punctuation, and initials of all sorts that have meanings I don't understand - like BTW for "by the way". I know some of them, but there are others I see from time to time that I don't have a clue what they mean and have to try and google them if I really want to know. It's a whole new language, and I don't even want to learn it. I'm a firm believer in proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. and I'm just too darned old to change now! {#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink