Esteemed Contributor

About Christmas shopping too early compared to now!

Ok, I usually start shopping for Christmas in July and am finished by now. (I have had people make fun of me for this).

Well, this year I am cutting back a bit on spending and so I started later as in lately.

Well now I'm online where I do most of my shopping and everything I'm clicking on that is on SALE is either sold out, not available in the sizes I want or whatnot. And some sites the shipping was worse than QVC for things people would like to have (like my grandkids!). As in things that cant simply be bought on Amazon!

I have never had so much trouble Christmas shopping in my life. I even had a 1/2 off code for this one thing son in law wanted and when I went on an hour later the 1/2 off code ended even though it wasn't midnight as in the next day and the code should have still been good! But it wasn't!

I told DH next year I WILL BE starting in July! Because I ALWAYS found reasonably priced available items that I want to buy UNLIKE NOW!

I am really getting disgusted, especially in the CLOTHING categories! So much is on sale but NOT available as in certain brands or something I like! Either people are shopping early and bought them all or they don't have enough stock!

I will wait till Cyber Monday and see if there are more things stocked OR better deals. Otherwise I will head out to stores which I HATE doing because I cannot hike around long with my bad back and some of the things I wanted are NOT in stores near me!. But so be it!

I just want to get finished so I can relax and look at my tree once its up and watch my Christmas movies like I always do while everyone ELSE is rushing around! LOL.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: About Christmas shopping too early compared to now!

Do you use Mrrebates.com or ebates? Sometimes they have additional offers that might help on the sales/shipping.

Honored Contributor

Shorty, we are two of a kind. I shop all year, and I like to have things tied up by around Halloween time. I, too, have been picked on for this, but no one ever dislikes the gifts!!

We are buying less since kiddo is grown up, and since my mom and I have more than we need, so I started a tad later this year too. I got into the sporting good stores before Halloween though, because the sizes I need in the UnderArmor clothing sells down fast.

I also learned several years ago to not count on Q's reliability after mid October either. I have been shipped the wrong items, short shipped, etc. so I never count on getting anything after that period. If I do order and get it great, but I make sure someone's Christmas doesn't depend on it.

Sorry you are having such problems this year, as I know what you mean about getting things done so you can enjoy the holidays. Good luck with the hunt.

Esteemed Contributor

I never shop late....I, too, can't walk the malls....so all my shopping is online...and I like to have it all here by now....and, except for my order from ShopHQ....it is all here....I started in July as well....

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

No I don't use ebates but I guess I should.

We make lists of ideas on my side of the family (Not my husbands side).

Everything is either gone, overpriced, or the ideas I have aren't in the sizes.

I know that's not the true meaning of Christmas so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but it would help if my shopping was going smoother.

From now on I will shop earlier!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

I think you ladies are wise shopping early. At least you know it's done and you can concentrate on the other things for Christmas. Baking cookies, decorating the tree, etc. You know that every year on these boards, someone will complain that QVC ruined their Christmas because they didn't get the gift they ordered 4 days before Christmas.

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 banjo said:

I think you ladies are wise shopping early. At least you know it's done and you can concentrate on the other things for Christmas. Baking cookies, decorating the tree, etc. You know that every year on these boards, someone will complain that QVC ruined their Christmas because they didn't get the gift they ordered 4 days before Christmas.

I like to shop starting really early for Christmas. I don't look at the calendar. Whenever I find the first gift for someone, that's when I buy it. My first gifts for this year were bought @dec. 28th last year, if I remember correctly. I found something that I wanted to give 7 friends. A really terrific price and they had exactly 7 of them. I took that as a sign-LOL. I did a whole "theme" thing for those friends, starting with that one item. I can't wait to give their gifts to them this year. I couldn't care less if anyone criticizes me for how early I start. And when I start early, I store the gifts in my gift closet!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Shorty, I agree. I have a larger family and friends group and shop year round to keep things easier to budget.

I never have finished in July in my life, but I aim for October. This year, I still have gifts to find and while the sales are excellent, the selection is already picked over. I've spent some time this AM looking for a gift, and I found just the right one for one of my nieces--and it is sold out in her size.

Respected Contributor

If you have trouble using coupon codes that are supposed to be good contact the merchant. I had an issue with Yankee Candles and scanned the coupon to verify it was still in effect and sent it off to the merchant. I got the discount plus free shipping. They must honor their coupons.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 gidgetgoeshawaiian said:
On 11/23/2014 banjo said:

I like to shop starting really early for Christmas. I don't look at the calendar. Whenever I find the first gift for someone, that's when I buy it. My first gifts for this year were bought @Dec. 28th last year, if I remember correctly. I found something that I wanted to give 7 friends. A really terrific price and they had exactly 7 of them. I took that as a sign-LOL. I did a whole "theme" thing for those friends, starting with that one item. I can't wait to give their gifts to them this year. I couldn't care less if anyone criticizes me for how early I start. And when I start early, I store the gifts in my gift closet!

gidget, you rebel you. Early shopping and a gift closet. There are many on these forums that will be praying for you to see the light (LOL). So brave of you to admit to two "shortcomings" in one post! Perhaps we should start a club.