Valued Contributor

Older People Beware Scamers Are On The Prowl !!

I got that infamous call "Hi Grandma this is your favorite Grandson". Dummy me I didn't look at the caller Id like I usually do and just answered the phone. I knew right off the bat it wasn't anyone I knew and I asked him what his middle name was and he just said" (after a brief pause) It's your favorite Grandson" I replied I am not your Grandmother" and hung up the phone please alert all your older relatives of this upsetting thing just to be on the safe side.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Older People Beware Scamers Are On The Prowl !!

I think I'd say, "I've been waiting for your call because I still haven't got your check this month."

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

We got the "I am from Windows, and we have verified that you have a virus on your computer" cal 2 times today.

Super Contributor

I swear when my hubby reached 65 and went on Medicare...they sold our number.

In the past two weeks I have gotten the Windows or Virus call twice from two different ""companies"". I also got the IRS call last week that they were issuing a warrant for my arrest for tax evasion...but they can't afford a stamp to send me a letter LOL. The IRS guy called 3 times in one day...never asked for anyone specifically and did not identify himself until the 3rd call when he left a message he left his name. Sadly I tried to contact the IRS and they aren't interested in these scams unless they have managed to get money from me...I'm just not that dumb.

Honored Contributor

They are always on the prowl......we just have to be alert and wise...... I'm always getting calls of some sort, and just don't pay any attention to them. Have an answering machine, and if they stay on long enough they will be recorded.....sometimes they are already talking when the machine picks up, and then they stay on through the whole time they want me to get their message. All I do is listen to what they say, laugh, and then delete them from my machine.

Older folks are pretty wise these days.....yes some are not well informed......but on a whole, I think most folks are aware of them and won't give them the time of day.

Regular Contributor

A friend of mine who is in her 90's with a very sharp wit got the "Grandma" call and told the kid, how can I be your grandma, I'm only 22! He hung up quickly

Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Katrinka23 said:

A friend of mine who is in her 90's with a very sharp wit got the "Grandma" call and told the kid, how can I be your grandma, I'm only 22! He hung up quickly

Pretty darn sharp.....and cute reply. She probably scared the heck out of him.......

Regular Contributor

We got the call about the virus last week. I let him go through his whole script and then I told him I did not own a computer. He must have apologized like 5 times saying over and over how sorry he was and he would take me off the list.

The political calls finally stopped and now the telemarkers are calling once again.

Valued Contributor

How about saying, "Wow, and all this time I thought I only had Granddaughters!!"

Respected Contributor

I like the emails that tell me I have won money, but have to send a few hundred today in order to claim my "prize." My goodness.

Who would fall for that?