Regular Contributor

Thanksgiving is being pushed aside by Retail

With all this Christmas advertising and buy, buy, buy it saddens me that Thanksgiving is lost.

I decorate my home with Fall decorations and add in the few Pilgrims and Indians that I can find. I saved my children's artwork of turkeys, cornucopias filled with gourds, indian corn etc and they are all on display.

All month I have tried to find cooking shows with Thanksgiving recipes and some Thanksgiving movies and they are far and few between.

Thanksgiving to me is being thankful for the little you have. Its about sharing a special meal with people you love to show them how much you appreciate them. Its about celebrating that your blessed with another day with or without family.

I sure wish the stores would all just stay closed for 1 day so people could just be with the ones they love instead of having to juggle schedules etc.

Thanksgiving is a beautiful holiday even if it is spent alone with a turkey pot pie or celebrated with a feast and family. To me everyone needs a day in which to reflect and be thankful.

I feel retail has significantly put a damper on the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

Super Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving is being pushed aside by Retail

Brick and mortar stores have to compete with on-line retail for the customers dollar.

On-line retail is open 24/7.

Don't be surprised when stores are open on x-mas, too.

Honored Contributor

If you don't want to go out and shop on Thanksgiving, then don't. I won't be shopping that day. Although I might place a few online orders.

And for what it's worth, I've been bombarded with Thanksgiving ads, both in the papers, online, and on tv. Even QVC sent me a Thanksgiving recipe with my upcoming easy pay offer. I only get a few magazines at this point....but they contain more recipes and decorating ideas than I'll ever be able to use.

But the thing is...there are people who might want to go out and shop on this day. About 30 years ago...most stores were closed on Sundays, and there was a big uproar when a few of them decided to stay open. Now...we just accept the fact that stores are open on Sundays. Times change, and so do our ideas about what is and isn't right.

Honored Contributor

Only if you let it....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

I won't shop at all. B & M or online.

I can refuse to support corporate greed at least a few days a year. After all the CEO's are not at work that day.

Honored Contributor

A CEO of a company...SUCCESSFUL company....works 24/7/365.

Super Contributor

What a lovely sentiment, OP! But if I may play the devil's advocate here, and offer another POV - I worked retail for about 10 years. Within that time, I worked for a variety of companies with different policies on holiday hours.

It was always my preference, along with some of my co-workers, to be scheduled during holidays because we received holiday pay (time and a half). Depending on your financial situation, working during the holidays is not always an unwelcome shift.

Super Contributor

Thanksgiving is alive and well with my family and friends. Holidays are what you want them to be.
Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 irishmama5 said: Thanksgiving is alive and well with my family and friends. Holidays are what you want them to be.

Exactly. Also, more families are scattered about the country, and the idea of a "Norman Rockwell" thanksgiving is over.

How many times do we see threads on here about how stressful the get togethers are? The fighting, the hurt feelings because so-and-so didn't show up, etc?

If people want to shop, let them!

The world isn't going to come to a screeching halt because stores are open on thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with what you said that they skip over Thanksgiving. (I even have trouble finding T Giving decorations). But you don't have to shop that day.

I actually think stores should be closed ALL holidays AND Sundays. And I live in an area with lots of Mennonites so lots of local businesses are closed here Sundays.

Anyway- On the other hand my husband and I go out to dinner Thanksgiving so I guess I cant say much else, because those people that serve us are working. But I asked before and they only each have a few hour shift that day on a volunteer basis.

The only reason we go out is my children (from 1st marriage) go to their dads family that day.

Also- I used to work for a major grocery store chain. When I did I worked Thanksgiving, but only until 12. Now grocery stores are open till like 5PM that day.

Lastly- Although I agree with you that its skipped over, and I do celebrate, I am not really big on Thanksgiving. It is my opinion that people should be thankful EVERY day and spend them with family ALL THE TIME!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles