Honored Contributor

Thjis does not seem right to me.

In Pittsburgh it has been a long standing understanding that paramedics, police officers and fireman who are working on major holidays can take an hour off to go home to spend some of their day with their family. Of course, it all depends on not being busy and having emergencies etc.And they must call in first for permission and remain in radio contact. Since in our family we have all 3 - police, fireman and paramedics we have always appreciated these policies.

So this year - someone is raising a stink about this. Some people do not think that this should be allowed. They say the workers are ripping off the tax payers. No one can seem to come up with any situation where a call has not been responded to in an appropriate time.All these workers live within the city limits as that is policy in the city- all workers must live within the city.And in Pittsburgh there is not a huge city - being located between the rivers and mountains has kept the city pretty small.And most workers live with in the neighborhoods they serve. So i just don't get why people have their panties ion a knot over this. this is instead of breaks and lunch time, BTW.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thjis does not seem right to me.

Just want to thank your (and all) firefighters, police officers, and paramedics for their service. How could we exist without them? Happy Holidays and safety to all.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

They are on working hours so it's the taxpayers dime. Sorry that they are scheduled to work the holiday but that's the way it goes.

My DH was on call last year for both Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. And he worked both days. He completely missed dinner at my sister's on Thanksgiving Day and on Christmas Day he went to work at 4:00 p.m. so he missed dinner at my cousin's house.

I don't understand why paramedics and police officers should be allowed to go during their work shift. They aren't scheduled like firemen are and would have the majority of their day with their family anyhow.

ETA: We don't have the residency requirement in our city. We also don't have city paramedics. Our paramedics are from an outside company.

Honored Contributor

People are quick to put down public servants - THEN they need them and they can't get there soon enough!

It's happening here in Buffalo.

The people yelling for "leaner" government - downsized departments - no raises and cuts in pensions - NOW are yelling for MORE plowdrivers, EMTs, police, etc.

Honored Contributor

I would think police officers would be able to sneak home or to a relatives' house for dinner. A lot of officers in our city are at individual homes visiting during working hours. Of course if someone turns them in, it's a problem.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:

People are quick to put down public servants - THEN they need them and they can't get there soon enough!

The people yelling for "leaner" government - downsized departments - no raises and cuts in pensions - NOW are yelling for MORE plowdrivers, EMTs, police, etc.

Yes, cutback government until it's inconvenient for ME and don't let government mess with my medicare.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 adelle38 said:
On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:

Yes, cutback government until it's inconvenient for ME and don't let government mess with my medicare.

I so agree with this. I think about it every time I listen to the rants about government being too big, or too much money going to all the agencies and services. I wish people would spend more time learning about all the money going into corporations lobbying for more goodies from D.C., that kind of thing. I don't know all the details of this particular situation, but from spending a large part of my life being on-call (and my late husband having the same experience) my guess is that even when these first responders are at home for an hour or so they're probably ready for action at a moment's notice.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Can't they just call it their lunch/dinner break & leave it at that?

Many thanks to all the folks out there who work in those professions to help keep us safe & rescue us from accidents, fires, etc!

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't bother me.
Respected Contributor

I have 2 neighbors who are cops not only do they come home during their scheduled shift but they leave their cruiser's engine running. I know it is my taxes paying for that but it is theirs as well. So I am not saying anything.