Respected Contributor

Flip Phones are Making a Comeback

I never got rid of mine, LOL, but it's nice to know that I'm trendy without even trying. {#emotions_dlg.lol} Vogue editor Anna Wintour and Rihanna have been spotted recently with flip phones, so I guess that means that those of us who never got rid of ours can safely come out of the closet now. Wink

There wasn't a reason for this current trend in the articles I read, but one did mention that flip phones literally repel muggers, so I guess that's a good thing.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Re: Flip Phones are Making a Comeback

My brother teaches middle school. One day, a student needed to borrow his phone to call his parents. The kid couldn't operate it! He said to my brother, "what is that?"

Super Contributor

I've never gotten rid of mine, either! TG, we're so out we're back in! lol

Honored Contributor

I don't own a cellphone, so I'm wondering why a flip-phone would "repel muggers"?

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

I don't own a cellphone, so I'm wondering why a flip-phone would "repel muggers"?

I think because smart phones are a hot item with muggers these days, and flip phones are worthless to them and are thought of as 'old technology'. They can get something like $20.00 for each smart phone which buys them a lot of drugs if they steal a few.

In a city near me, there are frequent warnings by law enforcement reminding people not to walk down a city street engrossed in their smart phones. Muggers target these people and can steal them in a flash. That would never happen with a flip phone.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

My flip phone is so old, I had to search the web to find someone who carried the type of battery it requires. Had to do this twice.

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 reese2 said:

HA! Now we can walk down the street proudly displaying our flip phones and people will be in awe at how 'in the know' we are. Wink

Valued Contributor

Wow! I've never been on trend before!
Super Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Topaz Gem said:
On 11/21/2014 reese2 said:

HA! Now we can walk down the street proudly displaying our flip phones and people will be in awe at how 'in the know' we are. Wink

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

When Sprint stopped supporting the Blackberry network, I had to get another phone. I chose a simple flip phone with only call and text capabilities. I absolutely refuse to join the smart phone craze.