Super Contributor

...we wrote letters to our turkeys saying we're sorry that we have to eat them for Thanksgiving. They were hilarious. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
I guess you had to be there....
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
I don't eat turkeys but I cook one for my family----I bless it while I'm digging the innards out ----wearing rubber gloves.
Honored Contributor

I wear disposable gloves, too, when preparing chicken, turkey, etc., too! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Joselyn, could you share some of their funny remarks? Kids really DO say the funniest things.

Honored Contributor

What did the vegetarian children write about?{#emotions_dlg.bored}

I'm serious about this question, because when my kids were in school...there were many of their classmates who didn't eat meat. I remember one of them explaining ""tofurkey" to me. They had it every year, and he looked forward to it.

Super Contributor

One kid wrote in detail of which part of the turkey he would eat first (the leg) and how much he would enjoy gobbling him down.... and then drew a turkey with an "x" for each eye. LOL!

Another kid said something like "I'm so sorry we have to eat you on Thanksgiving. I really hope you had a good life while it lasted! Adios, Mr. Turkey!"

Super Contributor
On 11/20/2014 september said:

What did the vegetarian children write about?{#emotions_dlg.bored}

I'm serious about this question, because when my kids were in school...there were many of their classmates who didn't eat meat. I remember one of them explaining ""tofurkey" to me. They had it every year, and he looked forward to it.

I don't have any vegetarians in my class.

Honored Contributor

My children eat meat..always have, but I think if they had to do a project in school like that....I would have thought it rather weird. It might have turned some meat-eaters into vegetarians, I think.

Native Americans can correct me if I'm wrong on this...but I think they say a prayer of thanks before they eat meat...but don't say they're sorry to the animal for eating it?

Esteemed Contributor

I think it wrong to require students to write such an essay. If I were in that class, I would have refused. If my daughter had been in that class, I would have had words with the Headmaster the following day!

We prepare turkey purchased from Trader Joe's, which is the center of our feast. In doing so, we remember those who first colonized our country and lived through extremes just to get from one day to another. I am thankful for my turkey dinner and that I live in a Republic.