Honored Contributor

AAA membership, looking for experience and opinions

My folks had AAA back in the 1970's , but I've never been a member. It used to be something that I felt we really didn't need. Hubby is a mechanic, had lots of connections for free or "for trade" tows, and we never went very far from home.

Times change. We now have a teen driver, the old towing buddies have gone out of business, all three of us are often three different places, scattered across the state. Hubby isn't always available to show up and fix on site any problems we encounter with his latest job.

I'm looking for any input and experiences with AAA (both positive and negative) anyone has had in the recent past. Which level of memberships did you find helpful?

Our main use would be for the roadside assistance stuff, not really in need of travel arrangements or maps and such.

Anyone know of and have used an alternate company, please comment as well.

Super Contributor

Re: AAA membership, looking for experience and opinions

I feel better having it. I even have OnStar, but since husband died years ago, my son introduced me into the 'modern' world,,,,sounds funny, but I'm a podunk!!! then started using a computer too,,,,Ooooo and here I am today!!! got a cell phone too. I just feel better having those 'back up" things on my side.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if it has changed but when I had it a few years ago...you were limited to two calls/services for the first year (or two..) then you could upgrade to PLUS...

I since have added the service to my cell phone for $2.99 a month and it is FANTASTIC..the phone has to be with the car and that is it..I have used it out of state on vacation for other people..myself..towed..many things, tire changes, battery dead, keys locked out numerous times.

ETA I have AT&T Cell Phone.

Super Contributor

I have AAA. Like it.
Honored Contributor

I've had AAA for decades and wouldn't be without it .... it's GREAT insurance! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Cars break down, people end up in bad neighborhoods, or get into accidents. Tires blow out, people lock their keys in their car, radiators overheat, etc, etc, etc ..... Stuff happens.

I would NEVER be without it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

Many years ago when my son was about to make a loooong drive in a very old car, I ran over to the AAA office and signed him up, making me a 'second' on the policy, and we've been with them ever since. Back then, I had peace of mind knowing that wherever he was, he could call someone for help.

And this: I'm currently jobless, so have no health insurance. I was shocked when I found out what my blood pressure meds were going to cost sans insurance, until the CVS pharmacist said "Do you have Triple A? Your meds qualify for a discount." It's a savings of almost $25/month. Good deal!

Respected Contributor

You should look into whether your auto insurance provider offers roadside assistance, either as part of the policy you already have or as something you can add on. That may be cheaper than a AAA membership if the roadside assistance is all you're interested in. We have been AAA members for years and enjoy their other services (trip planning, foreign currency, etc.) as well as their discounts. The times we have needed roadside assistance have been few and far between (thank goodness), but those experiences have been great and I have total peace of mind.

Honored Contributor

We've had AAA for decades and I cannot imagine not having it. The cost is not great at all, but the convenience is priceless.

Just a month or two ago I had a situation. Fortunately, I was in no hurry to leave and I called AAA. They were able to diagnose the problem and sold me an excellent battery for a very good price. They are always very kind and helpful. If you need them to tow your car they will take you with them if you want and tell the people what seems to be wrong (been there, too). There are a myriad of ways that they make it worthwhile.

Respected Contributor

Love it..we too have been members for years and would not be without it.
Respected Contributor

Mominohio, I can sum up my feelings for AAA with the following sentence:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE AAA!!!!!!!

That said, AAA has been phenomenal in my personal experience. Great, timely, expert service every single time, and I have actually gotten my money's worth out of them though the years. If your kids leave the lights on in your car, they come out to you to help jumpstart your car with a smile-- no problem. If you get a flat tire, they come out to help you put on a donut tire with a smile-- no problem.

AAA even does emergency battery replacement, which came in handy for my family on a relatively recent trip to New Hampshire, when our vehicle died. The mechanic at the dealership failed to notice the battery was due for replacement, despite proper and very regular routine maintenance. We were so happy we had AAA, and we will never drop our coverage.

And no, I have absolutely no ties to AAA, and thus, no incentive to exaggerate my positive experiences with them.