Respected Contributor

I really want to learn.....anyone ever try it?

Relaxing?

Easy to learn?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Nothing to it. You'll learn it on the fly. You just need to be patient. It's fun when you catch. Even when you don't catch anything, it's still good to be outdoors.

Respected Contributor

Thanks brew.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Try it. You'll like it. My first catch was a tree branch over my head.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor
Yes, me. I won a couple of awards for it, long ago Smiley Happy I'll tell you the secret, for real: it's all in the wrist.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor
On 11/17/2014 RoughDraft said:

Try it. You'll like it. My first catch was a tree branch over my head.

Sounds like it's just up my alley.

Respected Contributor
On 11/17/2014 NoelSeven said: Yes, me. I won a couple of awards for it, long ago Smiley Happy I'll tell you the secret, for real: it's all in the wrist.

Thanks Noel.

Do tell. You won awards?

Honored Contributor
I did. Fishing was a really big deal in northern CA back in the fifties and sixties. PBS did a special on it awhile back. My father was really into it for years. My mother and I went with him on numerous fishing trips. We all fished, I had my own specialty poles. In fact, I still have them. I would bet there are videos on YouTube teaching fly fishing.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Lotus, have you ever fished by spin casting or is this your first experience with fishing? Fly fishing is a little like golf, you have to practice, practice, practice. It also helps to do it regularly.

I fished with spin casting all my life, quite successfully I might add. Smiley Happy We decided we need to learn how to fish with flies. The transition hasn't been easy as the technique is the exact opposite. In fly fishing the line is heavy and the flies are light. In spin casting the line is fine and the lures are heavy. We don't do it but once or twice a year and I have learned that I have to almost start over every time until I get in the rhythm of it again. It is much more labor intensive also because of the constant cast and retrieve.

Like someone else said...it is always great to be out on the water whether the fish are biting or not. Try it.

Respected Contributor

I can cast....love it. I could do it all day, but I haven't been fishing in a long time.

Of course I'm surrounded by water {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} and don't fish anymore.