Esteemed Contributor

Funny things you heard when you were little

I was in about 4th (or was it 5th?) grade, when there was a rumor going around school that a particular girl was going to have puppies! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The really hilarious thing is that I didn't know whether to believe it, or not!

A friend of mine said when he was little, he thought albums had a person squished onto the vinyl, and that when you put the needle on it, they "screamed," and that is why the singing came out - LOL.

Honored Contributor

Re: Funny things you heard when you were little

I hope she didn't have more than two. Litterally.

I scream when someone puts a needle in me.

Honored Contributor

Mostly from my grandmother...

Sneakers were bad for your eyes.

Sitting on the concrete steps would give you a cold in your kidneys.

If you picked dandelions you would wet the bed that night!

Honored Contributor

When I was very young my mother told me she was taking me back to Bambergers (a department store in NJ) where she bought me. Every time we shopped there, (frequently) I feared I would not come home.

Celtic Crafter, "Sitting on the concrete steps would give you a cold in your kidneys." My husband's grandmother always said sitting on concrete steps would give you piles. I had no idea what piles were.

Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 lulu2 said:

When I was very young my mother told me she was taking me back to Bambergers (a department store in NJ) where she bought me. Every time we shopped there, (frequently) I feared I would not come home.

Celtic Crafter, "Sitting on the concrete steps would give you a cold in your kidneys." My husband's grandmother always said sitting on concrete steps would give you piles. I had no idea what piles were.

I heard the same story about "piles" from my grandma!

She also told me it was bad luck to clip your nails on Sundays.

Both sets of grandparents were very superstitious. My parents taught us that superstitions are rooted in fear, and we shouldn't take them seriously.

Respected Contributor

When I was ;itt;e my Mother a;ways told me to behave, or they would give me back to the Cruikshanks, who ever they were, the people they got me from. scared me to death.

Not to wear dirty under wear or put a safety pin in your undies in case you were ever in an accident.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor

Around the time I was taking first communion (7-ish), my uncle told me my mouth would bleed if I chewed the host. I didn't think it was funny at all. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Honored Contributor

LOL...That whole piles from sitting on the concrete thing must go way back. My mom said it too.

Every now and then we'd see these mechanical starbursts elevated high up. I think they were maybe associated with a hotel chain but I think a car dealership had one too. The center part of the ball would rotate and my dad said there was a little man running inside.

Coffee would either turn your stomach black or put hair on your chest

Step on a crack and you'll break your back

My dad would acknowledge the toll booth workers saying, "Thank you Mr. Smith" or "Have a nice day, Mr. Smith". No matter where we went, or what state we were in, he'd always do it. Never realizing they had a name sign on the toll booth, I'd ask, "How do you know him?" Dad would answer, "We went to different schools together." LOL, it flowed so easily and my dad could do no wrong so I just accepted it as truth.

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 Mama Mia said:

When I was ;itt;e my Mother a;ways told me to behave, or they would give me back to the Cruikshanks, who ever they were, the people they got me from. scared me to death.

Not to wear dirty under wear or put a safety pin in your undies in case you were ever in an accident.

mm

I love the last line, my late mom always said that in fact my brother included that in his eulogy for her Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

My brother said if I tasted the coffee it would put ""hair on my chest"".