Respected Contributor

I've been helping three women in Sierra Leone with small loans through Kiva. Today I received two grim emails regarding these women. Two of the women are with Kiva's field partner Association for Rural Development (ARD). To date 11 of ARD's borrowers passed away after contracting Ebola. The third woman is with Kiva's field partner Salone Microfinance Trust (SMT). A total of 9 SMT borrowers passed away after contracting Ebola.

I will not know if any of the three women I assisted are a part of the 20 who have passed on until Kiva notifies me of default and the reason for default, due to contracting Ebola.

I had been concerned about them and wondered how they were getting along. Then to get this email, it was so shocking and sad.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor
How sadSmiley Sad. That's such a worthwhile organization.
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry, (((Gato))). God bless you, you've made such a positive difference in this world.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Oh no gato. You have such a personal connection to all this. I don't even know what to say except (((((hug)))))

Super Contributor

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you hear some good news, soon.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the kind words. Hard to imagine what the residents of those countries are going through right now. It has to be devastating.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry, Gato. What a wonderful thing you're doing.

I hope you hear soon.

Respected Contributor

Puts a lot of things into perspective, for me.

Sorry, Gato.