Super Contributor

Someone in Portland is being monitored for Ebola

Didn't see this here so if this was discussed already just ignore.

They're waiting for test results.

Article is here (link is to Portland Tribune) and it appears everyone is working together in this instance.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Super Contributor

Re: Someone in Portland is being monitored for Ebola

Nice that Portland Oregon seems to be able to handle this calmly. Nice that people are willing to quarantine themselves.

There's a Portland in Maine too.......but that freakin' nurse isn't interested in public safety in the U.S. - only in other countries.

Honored Contributor

This part of the report confuses me:

"According to the officials, the woman arrived in Portland recently from either Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone. She had been under monitoring protocol since arriving in Portland and her temperature had consistently been fine, until Friday morning, officials said."

Did this woman come here legally? If so, her passport ought to clearly state which country she came here from?

I hope she is okay, and this is just extra careful monitoring.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 clemintine said:

Nice that Portland Oregon seems to be able to handle this calmly. Nice that people are willing to quarantine themselves.

There's a Portland in Maine too.......but that freakin' nurse isn't interested in public safety in the U.S. - only in other countries.

That's what I was thinking too.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 september said:

"According to the officials, the woman arrived in Portland recently from either Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone. She had been under monitoring protocol since arriving in Portland and her temperature had consistently been fine, until Friday morning, officials said."

Did this woman come here legally? If so, her passport ought to clearly state which country she came here from?

Maybe she doesn't speak English and didn't have her passport with her at the hospital. That would be my guess.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 september said:

I found it odd that it wasn't known exactly where she came from.

Respected Contributor

I thought this line was worth posting here:

"Other people in the woman’s home have voluntarily agree to home quarantine for the time being, officials said. "

Sounds like they are handling it properly this time. I hope it turns out not to be ebola.

Regular Contributor

They maybe didn't want to be too specific since things happening like not letting your kid attend school or firing a relative etc.

Regular Contributor

So as far as i know that medication for ebola isn't going to be ready till Jan/Feb?

The plasma that is being used has to be the right blood type. The original nurse they brought back here said she doesn't have enough anti-bodies to give plasma yet.

I just don't get why people don't want to be as cautious as possible.

Respected Contributor

On 10/31/2014 toodles11 said:

So as far as i know that medication for ebola isn't going to be ready till Jan/Feb?

The plasma that is being used has to be the right blood type. The original nurse they brought back here said she doesn't have enough anti-bodies to give plasma yet.

I just don't get why people don't want to be as cautious as possible.

My hope is that if this does turn out to be ebola with this poor woman, supportive care may save her since they will have caught it early. I believe the article said she was self monitoring so that's good, may help her chances.