Trusted Contributor

Help - Difference between Advantage and Advantage II flea products?

"Our" 2 senior (foster/adopted?) dogs, Ripper and Zuma, supposedly get their flea meds treatment from their "real" owner. But they often are late in doing so. The last time (2 months ago) I noticed they left the empty vials for us to see that it was done. It was the Frontline product. It barely seemed to work at all! When I bought some once before, I got one called Advantage II. We used it again last month when the owners were lagging again. Seemed to work a lot better than Frontline. Unfortunately our Costco only seems to carry the Frontline.

My last purchase of Advantage was the Advantage II and I ordered it from Ebay. In looking for it again, I see the price is $10.00 to $20.00 more than what I payed last time. I found Advantage (it actually says Advantage Blue 100) for a better price. Who knows the difference between them? The descriptions say the same thing. I do know that Advantix includes tick protection so that is not my question. We don't seem to need that.

So is Advantage II just a new and improved and therefore more expensive product? What do my fellow doggy moms use? I need to hurry up and get something ordered. Can't depend on the neighbors evidently.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Help - Difference between Advantage and Advantage II flea products?

If you don't get an answer here, you might also post under the Pet Lovers forum.

Super Contributor

I used to get flea meds from Ebay. I stopped when I learned how many counterfeit products there are, out there. I'd recommend getting them from somewhere like JeffersPet.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of Advantage Blue............I'd buy Advantage II from a local vet or reliable pet store.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

A vet. we know says that there are a lot of counterfeits out there. Don't take a chance.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Krimpette - I thought of that, but I never post (or read) there so no one knows me there. Some posters here are familiar with me and the little bit odd situation with the neighbors' 2 old dogs who moved out and adopted us, lol!

Dam Yankee - What I ordered last time was evidently the real deal as it worked great. The same seller doesn't have the right one for the size/weight that I need this time or I would reorder from him. Another seller I am looking at has excellent feedback and postive comments. So that aside, do you happen to have information with regard to my original question? The difference between Advantage and Advantage II?

Trusted Contributor

Mahalo Romary

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that Advantage II is the latest one. If you call a large national pet food and accessories, etc. store, they will give you the info. They have called directly to the manufacturer one time, when I had a question at the store. .... p.s. Talk to the store manager or to the person in charge of re-ordering Advantage II. Specify for cats or dogs, etc.

Honored Contributor

p.s. You might try to check out the Advantage II company site.......they might offer online coupons. Not sure, though.

Esteemed Contributor

When my dog first started using topical flea meds, they worked great. Now they don't work AT ALL. It doesn't matter what kind I use or how expensive it is. NONE of the topicals work for him anymore. I am getting ready to put him on Comfortis though I have been kind of scared to I hear it works great. I am afraid of him becoming used to that and it not working also. I have an appt with my vet on Monday to take him in for a check up and hopefully I will know more then. I only use it in the summer as he doesn't seem to have any in winter months.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK