Super Contributor

about leftover Halloween candy

Can I freeze it in Zip lock freezer bags for next year? I usually just throw it out. I have no one to give it to, and would not donate it to anyone as really hate the thought of people eating it anyway... just junk food and bad for you. I only do it for the kids at Halloween because I know kids love Halloween.

I usually have plenty of leftovers. I am not cheap or anything, just would rather not waste it by tossing it out. If freezing is an option I will do it. It is mostly tootsie rolls, tootsie pops and bubble gum.

Super Contributor

Re: about leftover Halloween candy

You do it for kids because they like Halloween but won't give the left overs to others because it's junk food? Not following the thinking here.

Anyway, freezing candy for next year? I doubt it's going to freeze well, especially the bubble gum. Then you defrost it next year and pass it out??{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Why not just skip candy/gum altogether and hand out smaller items you can pick up at any dollar store?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't freeze tootsie rolls or bubble gum or any leftover candy.

Just let them grab what they want and then call it a night when you run out.

You could always pass out healthier treats or something you don't mind having leftovers of...

Super Contributor

Why not just give what's left to the last of the trick or treaters or leave it in a bowl on the front porch after you close up for the night?

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine freezing any of the items you mentioned. I'm with others, just give out more to those who show up. When it's gone, it's gone.

Esteemed Contributor

Yuck, no one wants year old frozen candy!!

Respected Contributor

Would you like your own children eating defrosted candy from the year before? Would you want to look at it every time you opened your freezer??

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 brii said:

I wouldn't freeze tootsie rolls or bubble gum or any leftover candy.

Just left them grab what they want and then call it a night when you run out.

You could always pass out healthier treats or something you don't mind having leftovers of...

Lol! Would you want a healthy treat?
Honored Contributor

How about only opening one bag at a time and take back what hasn't been opened?