Esteemed Contributor

Anoyone have this happen after cataract surgery?

My first surgery on the left eye which was extremely bad turned out great. The right eye was done on the 27th and I saw the doctor the next day for my post op visit. It turned out I could not read any letters and when the doctor examined the eye he said it was very swollen. Now I am putting two different drops in the eye eight times each five minutes apart and I thought putting four drops in was annoying! He said to do it every two hours, it is a good thing I'm retired, I can't imagine going to work and doing this.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anoyone have this happen after cataract surgery?

I must have started too late at night. Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Sorry you are having this problem .I'm sure it will clear up since it sounds ike the Dr. didn't seem overly concerned.

Just curious---what pre-op did you have to have before the eye surgery. I needed a blood test, chest xray, and an EKG?

Jamma

edited for spelling

Honored Contributor

I had both eyes done before my 40th birthday very early onset cateracts. My left eye was very easy I could see out of it the next day. The right eye done three years later, and it took weeks to heal, it was abut 6 weeks before I was able to see clearly

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I am sorry you are having a problem. If it is still bothering you this morning, I think I would call the dr as you don't want to have the problem over the weekend. Good wishes for a speedy resolution.
Honored Contributor

My mom had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago. She started prepping her eye 3 days before surgery, with an antibiotic eye drop, and a steroid eye drop. She read 2 lines on the eye chart the day after surgery, although there was some difficulty seeing all of the letters on the 3rd line. When she had her recheck a week later, she could see letters on the 3rd line much better. She continued using both eye drops until they ran out, and has been referred back to her regular eye doctor where she will be tested in a month to get new glasses. Those eye drops are essential before, and after surgery to take care of any bacteria that might be in the eye, and to help control swelling once the procedure is done. Best wishes to you with your healing.
Respected Contributor

On 10/31/2014 JAMMA said:

Sorry you are having this problem .I'm sure it will clear up since it sounds ike the Dr. didn't seem overly concerned.

Just curious---what pre-op did you have to have before the eye surgery. I needed a blood test, chest xray, and an EKG?

Jamma

edited for spelling

I had both eyes done within the past month and no pre-op testing of any kind.

Regular Contributor

I never had any pre op testing.. But did you have to have general anesthesia? I did not, I was awake, this could explain why you needed such tests...
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a time with this eye. I sincerely hope that the drops take care of the problem for you without having to have another procedure.

Frankly, I appreciate reading about anyone's cataract experience because I'll be having the procedure done in a few years: fried my eyes using operating microscopes for years. It's so frustrating especially driving at night, when all the lights have huge coronas around them making it visually challenging to drive. I finally told my husband that I'm not comfortable driving at night any more.

Good luck and quick healing.

Honored Contributor

No problem like that after my left eye, which I chose to have a Multi-focal iol lens, nor right eye, which is a Mono-focal iol lens.

hckynut(john)