Respected Contributor

Kaci was followed by state police while going on a bike ride.

She seems very healthy plus speaks well. Perhaps those in charge should listen to her. The police were not able to arrest her without a court order. The woman has guts! Maine hasn't made a decision yet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kaci was followed by state police while going on a bike ride.

Hi Found!

I respectfully disagree. As I have said a hundred times, it doesn't matter what her health status is at this exact moment.

The problem comes in when, if God forbid, she should BECOME symptomatic.

If she does and she has been around other people in her community they will have to track each person and monitor them. Also remember the bowling alley the good Dr. Spencer was using? Had to shut down.

This is the issue, common courtesy for other people in your community and THEIR inconvenience and possible loss of revenue should she become symptomatic.

Respected Contributor

She is not sick, she will probably not become sick, but gee whiz woman, just lie low for a couple of weeks. Rest up from your African service, read some books, watch some tv., take some bubblebaths, drink a glass or bottle of wine, etc. No sense in adding additional work or expense to the local/state authorities to monitor your every move.

Honored Contributor

Hi, found! Hope you're feeling better today.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

There's a quote that says: "When it's uncomfortable, when it's unpopular, even when it's dangerous to speak the truth, that is the precise time the truth should be spoken."

Although I can see both sides of the argument about the way she's gone about things, I'm glad everyone is interested, aware, and trying to learn. Maybe her situation lit a fire under those who we expect to protect us and to give us sound advice. Fact is, she might very well parlay this into more than 15 minutes of fame as some have speculated -- but she's also running the risk of having a damaged reputation and having negative, long-term repercussions. She can't be certain this will play out in her personal favor.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Yes, you're right it's definitely bad for business and not fair when they lose revenue plus have to spend their own money to sanitize everything assuming that is the plan. Nothing is spelled out whether or not a business has to sanitize everything after an ebola victim has been there.

But, Kaci just seems so darn healthy!

Respected Contributor

On 10/30/2014 ILikeShade said:

Yes, you're right it's definitely bad for business and not fair when they lose revenue plus have to spend their own money to sanitize everything assuming that is the plan. Nothing is spelled out whether or not a business has to sanitize everything after an ebola victim has been there.

But, Kaci just seems so darn healthy!

Yes, and I certainly sincerely hope she remains that way! I'll be happy when her 15 minutes of fame are over.

Gotta go now, see you later, friend.

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 minkbunny said:

She is not sick, she will probably not become sick, but gee whiz woman, just lie low for a couple of weeks. Rest up from your African service, read some books, watch some tv., take some bubblebaths, drink a glass or bottle of wine, etc. No sense in adding additional work or expense to the local/state authorities to monitor your every move.

I agree. I've had about enough of her.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

The bowling alley will reopen tomorrow after being cleaned for peace of mind.

Q: Can you get Ebola from a bowling ball?

A. Dr. Craig Spencer, the patient with Ebola currently in isolation at Bellevue Hospital Center, went bowling in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn on Wednesday evening. According to city health officials, he had been taking his temperature twice a day since he left Guinea on Oct. 14. His temperature was normal on Wednesday evening, and he did not yet have any other symptoms, such as nausea or diarrhea. Ebola experts say the disease cannot be transmitted before the appearance of symptoms.

Although the surface of a shared bowling ball is a likely place to find germs — and some people avoid bowling for this very reason — it is extremely unlikely that Ebola could be passed that way. There is no evidence that it has been passed, as colds or flu sometimes are, by touching surfaces that someone else touched after sneezing into their hand. Ebola is normally passed through contact with blood, vomit or diarrhea.

If someone left blood, vomit or feces on a bowling ball, and the next person to touch it did not even notice, and then put his fingers into his eyes, nose or mouth, it might be possible. But, the Ebola virus does not not normally build up to high levels in saliva or mucus until very late in the disease — several days after the initial fever sets in — and it is unlikely that someone that ill would have just gone bowling. Also, the Ebola virus is fragile and susceptible to drying out. It does not normally survive for more than a few hours on a hard, dry surface.

Respected Contributor

What is that new 3' rule that the CDC just implemented about returning health care workers?

Respected Contributor

Why all of these aspersions that she wants fame or a photo op, money, etc.? What is the source of the hate talk?

She has harmed no one.