Super Contributor

ABC News Takes Over ‘The View’ As Ratings Dwindle (Exclusive)

For 18 seasons, “The View” has been one of the crown jewels of ABC Daytime programming block. But in a significant restructuring that could foreshadow the management style of incoming president Ben Sherwood, ABC’s daytime executives are losing oversight of the show, Variety has learned.

Starting today, “The View” will be part of the non-fiction branch of programming within ABC News, which produces the documentary series “NY Med.” The talk show will now be in the growing portfolio of ABC News president James Goldston, Sherwood’s right-hand man who helped revamp “Good Morning America.”

“Moving ‘The View’ to our non-fiction programming group now allows it to fully draw on the vast resources of ABC News and our team in New York, where the show is based right next door,” Goldston says in a memo Variety obtained from the network that will circulate to staffers on Thursday morning. “We couldn’t be more thrilled to work with this terrific team.”

One of his central goals, according to insiders, is to make “The View” more appealing to younger viewers. The show has fallen 10 percent in the last year among female viewers between the ages 18 to 49, but it’s up 1 percent in total viewers.

“The View’s” new panel has struggled to find its voice this season. The Hot Topics segments have focused more on hard news, like Ebola and ISIS, as opposed to celebrities and reality stars, the sweet spot for the knockoff CBS series “The Talk.”

The four co-hosts are all older than 40, which goes against the idea of Barbara Walters’ original pitch for “The View”: to make the debates multi-generational. Perez could be taking a hiatus from the show in the winter, since she’s signed to appear in a Broadway play, which may give executives an opening to test other co-hosts. Insiders say it’s too early to tell if a new cast member will join the show later this season, but the very possibility of a change is indicative of concerns with the panel’s chemistry.

Respected Contributor

Re: ABC News Takes Over ‘The View’ As Ratings Dwindle (Exclusive)

It's all good! Glad to know they will support a more informative show, less f/uff.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a last gasp.

Perhaps the show has just run its course. It happens.

Respected Contributor

I think they ought to try something new instead like a new soap opera with zombies or fantasy.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't even watch it anymore. I like ""The Talk"" a lot better. The women seem to be a lot friendlier with each other and get along well. JMO The topics are the same on both shows anyway....

Super Contributor

On 10/30/2014 scotttie said:

Sounds like a last gasp.

Perhaps the show has just run its course. It happens.

i agree.

Honored Contributor

This is the first season I've watched it in a long time and, for the most part, I enjoy it. The one lady, with whom I was not familiar before this, gets on my nerves a bit because she constantly interrupts others mid-sentence and talks over people. I don't have much patience for that. She seems fine otherwise and I hope she stops doing that. But otherwise I like the show. I've always liked the two Rosies and Whoopi.

My only other gripe is that I HATE studio audiences. I get that that would never change but all the ridiculous noise makes it impossible for me to hear what's going on sometimes.

Super Contributor

I don't mind the new View. It's better than it was last year, but then I was never a fan of Barbara Walters ever, could not stand the annoying voice of EH, felt Joy was just going through the motions, Sherry....well, I won't even mention that, and Jenny was never cut out to be a talk show host. I am even impressed with Nichole Wallace this season, even though I don't agree with 95% of what she says. So I'm willing to give the show a chance.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy the show and have for many years.

Anytime a show is revamped with a new cast it needs time to be fine tuned. I can see them feeling more at ease and finding their pace even now after only 6 weeks or so.

Those that would love to see the show end will be disappointed.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Super Contributor

The show should just end. It has run it's course. The Talk is enough and two shows alike is too much.