Respected Contributor

Question on Aricept (personal expriences)

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced having a loved one on Aricpet and if you noticed any negative behavior changes with them.

What were the changes and how soon/long after starting on Aricept did you notice it?

(yes, I have a call into the doctor)

TIA

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Re: Question on Aricept (personal expriences)

My DH is on Aricept right now (although it is the generic). He was also on it a couple of years ago, and then stopped for a while due to insurance issues. I saw a difference in his mental ability (slight) with it. As far as I know, he is having no adverse effects. He is also on a high dose of Seroquel which keeps him calm (or less agitated {#emotions_dlg.closedeyes}). My DH has later stage Alzheimers.

P.S. if this is the case in your situation, alz.org has great information on their message board.

Respected Contributor

Lotus, I noticed no negative effects when Mom was on it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies...Neurologist said to stop right away.....and call him in a few days.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

My dad was on it in the home (before he died). It made him a zombie and not the dad I remembered who was fun and talkative. Long story I don't want to relive now but we tried to get them to stop giving him it to no avail.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Sometimes, it takes a while for someone to react positively to a new drug. I would also have to recommend going to the alz.org boards, and joining their message boards. You can also find local support groups in your community...for family members of Alzheimer's patients.

Honored Contributor

My dear friend's Mother took Aricept for the longest period allowed. Her Mom was diagnosed at 62. She took Aricept for 5 to 7 years? I thought I understood that Aricept works for only a certain amount of time, and by 5 years it ceases to be effective.

My friend told me it DID help the first 3 or 4 years with little things. I think it delayed the progress a bit. But her Mom had it real bad, and descended quick after being diagnosed 6 years. She dies last year after 15 years with this awful disease. She was in her 80's.

Respected Contributor

By the time my mom was started on Aricept in 2004, her Alzheimer's was too far advanced. She was tried on Seroquel but within 24 hours her neck got so stiff and rigid, it was stopped. Nothing helped. She was up all night and slept all day.

I think that those who have experienced loved ones with this disease, could write books about their experiences.

Honored Contributor

My dad is in the early stages of dementia. Aricept has helped him tremendously. He can sit and hold an adult conversation without repeating himself a dozen times and even tell you about an article he read several days ago. He is at the end of stage 1 dementia just going into stage 2. He has been on it now just a little over a year.

Respected Contributor

Mom was 5mg of Aricept for 30 days....I found myself telling friends that she seemed to be getting worse instead of better. I couldn't tell if her disease was progressing quickly or it was the meds. We had an appointment on Tuesday (that's a whole 'nother story...the Neurologist was obnoxious and condescending to my mom) and he increased her to 10mg....she took that for 2 days.

She had a REALLY bad day yesterday....woke me up screaming at 745A....I jumped out of bed, I had thought that she fell or was hurt.

She was screaming about me stealing her lock box with her important papers....which I didn't....actually never even looked in it (which I have to do soon w/o her knowing) and the day went downhill from there. She ranted for about 4 hours....saying the most horrible things to me. It was really bad. :'(

I put a call into the obnoxious Neurologist at 9am.....and again at noon....he finally returned my call around 4pm and told me to stop the Aricept an to call him in a few days.

I know it's too soon to see a change yet by stopping the meds......but she seems a lot calmer today.

My sister is coming up from VA today....and together we will figure out what is best for mom.

I did go to the Alz.org message boards last night and found some posts from caregivers with a similar experience with their loved one on Aricept.