Super Contributor

For the first time in my life, I was unable to vote on the last Election Day. It was due to an unanticipated reason.

I just received a letter from my pol party stating that "who I vote for is my business" but "if I vote is a matter of public record". It said "many organizations monitor turnout in my neighborhood and are disappointed". It goes on to say "we will be reviewing voting records after the upcoming election to determine whether you joined your neighbors".

WT_??

If this doesn't feel like Big Brother I don't know what does. I'm not 5 years old. I'm quite po'd.

Would you be?

Honored Contributor

Never heard of such a thing. Actually, it's none of their business. I guess they are trying to "motivate" people to get out and vote, but that may backfire on them. Mornin' focksie!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Voting is a public record.

Which is why you may receive calls next Tuesday up until the last minute, if your party sees that you didn't make to to the polls.

That being said - threatening to publish your lack of participation seems to be counterproductive. It will just tick off the people the party wants to encourage to support them.

Respected Contributor

Whether you joined your neighbors? It's none of their da*m business. I would complain.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Wow.

Valued Contributor

This has been going on since voting began. They have to know who voted and who didn't. That is why you sign your name and given a number. Don't take it so seriously. Your party is just trying to increase voters in the next election. It is not a big deal.

Super Contributor

Good morning Preds. Smile Yeah, I really don't think it's any of their business and I can see it backfiring. I wrote a little note on the letter which I am sending back to them. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Terrier - I don't mind phone calls, fliers, etc. but this to me crosses the line. I have been singled out with a "bad girl" letter with an implied threat and it doesn't sit well with me. At all.

Respected Contributor

Alaska went as far as publishing some names. Again, I would complain.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

TaxyLady - There is a way to increase votership and motivate voters. This is not it.

Honored Contributor

And they wonder why voter turn out is so low...