Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone here know a lot about antiques?

I have my parents antiques since my dad passed away 3 plus years ago.

I am going to go through things and see if my grown children want anything first.

I have pieces from a pocket watch and some coins to a couple of pieces of furniture, to various glassware pieces and so on and so on.

Is it best to look up their value online? Does anyone know of a special website? Or is it best to call a dealer? How do you know who to trust? Are there books to buy on certain pieces?

PS) Some of the pieces I don't know the name of them TO look up. Like there are some antique chocolate type dishes and so on.

I have been putting this off. I keep hearing my dad's voice (not literally) saying that's worth money don't get rid of that. He treasured his things (especially after my Mom died many years ago), because they collected these pieces together or some were my great grandparents.

But I want my children to have what they want now while I'm here, and then maybe sell the rest. I do not think my children are going to want much of anything because they are more into modern type décor for the most part. I think they may want some. And I DO have pieces displayed that I am keeping (for now).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shorty,

Sounds like you have your hands full trying to discover what you have and whether it's worth anything. Of course, it'll always be worth something to you because it's family. That's the most important thing to remember.

With regard to the watch, my DH told me that if the watch is in pieces and can be put back together by a watchmaker who can then authenticate it as being such-and-such brand worth $$$, it may turn out good or maybe just so-so. Most watches that our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers had were copper or silver. If lucky, you may have a high end one. But first start out by finding out who is the go-to watchmater in your community.

You mentioned a coin then furniture. That was a bit confusing, but will tell you that if you do have some coins, you may likewise find a reputable coin dealer in your area who can let you know how much they are worth. Regarding the furniture, if you believe them to be "antique," e.g. over 100 years old, there may very well be some worth. If it were me, I would take some photos with an digital camera, then go to an antique furniture store and run the photos by one of the sales associates. I don't think this look see will cost you anything, but if they want to come out to your place to quote you, you may incur a fee and/or they may take it off your hands for X amount of dollars or suggest that it's not yet worthy of antique status.

Regarding dishes, pottery and the like, turn each piece over and look for a factory mark. You can look these identifying marks up on the internet. In some instances, there will be an additional mark which will, with research, tell you what year the piece was made. If you see no marking whatsoever, then the piece(s) are "plainware" and probably not worth too very much, unless very old (17th, 18th, 19th centuries). This type of domestic ware is much easier to identify than glassware, as most glassware is not marked. You may, however, be able to tell how old a piece of glassware is by its design. If you don't have an eye for this, then a common antique store owner will be able to help you.

Sorry I can't offer more help. Without hands-on, it's rather difficult. Good luck in your quest.

Honored Contributor

There are a number of books. Check your local library and you'll be surprised.

Not sure but places that sell on line, may have similar items. Your plan to pass things on to the kids is a good one. But yes your dad's voice was correct on $$$.

Esteemed Contributor

We called a reputable dealer and put many things on consignment. They all sold.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Have an estate sale dealer come over and take a look.

They not only can tell you what you have, they can tell you if the items are popular (and selling) now.

They can sell what you have at a larger sale or an auction (for a percentage) or you can then try on your own.

Items are only worth what a buyer is willing to offer!

What was popular and in style a few years ago may not be worth anything now.

My neighbors are estate and antique dealers. One couple specializes in Colonial American paintings and very old, expensive items. The other couple has a lot of things from the 30s-70s - especially kitchen items.

Both do a lot of business now online - since they say the market is so much larger and they can get better prices.

Respected Contributor
Check ebay for what things actually sell for. In addition, in order for something to be truly an antique it should be 100 years old or older.. Good Luck!!
Respected Contributor

Antiques are considered "antiques" when they R 100 years old. Everything else, vintage with little value.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/30/2014 Skylands said:

Antiques are considered "antiques" when they R 100 years old. Everything else, vintage with little value.

Today "vintage" items from the 1950's can be more valuable than what people consider to be "antiques". The marker for Victorian and Edwardian furniture has all but disappeared but prices on mid century modern pictures have skyrocketed.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Hi, Shorty,

I agree with soft raindrops. When I am interested in book prices (I sometimes sell and buy rare books), my first stop is Ebay.

Identifying marks of any kind can be your keywords for an Ebay search. Books are easy: author, title and publisher/year of your edition. China, if it has no marks, can still be searched approximately by decade or decorative pattern.

Or try "furniture, oak, Mission" (or whatever the style of your antique furniture is). Then you might be able to get some idea of the going rate right now. An estate evaluator will charge for appraisal, but if you search ebay first you'll have a better idea of whether it's worth it to hire an appraiser.

In my area, charities sometimes sponsor events where for a flat fee of $30, one can bring in an item for appraisal (as on Antiques Road Show). I've never done it b/c I have a fair idea just from ebay searches what my inherited stuff would sell for. (Its worth is a different matter--I wouldn't sell it anyway.)

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 adelle38 said:
On 10/30/2014 Skylands said:

Today "vintage" items from the 1950's can be more valuable than what people consider to be "antiques". The marker for Victorian and Edwardian furniture has all but disappeared but prices on mid century modern pictures have skyrocketed.

That is very true!

Mid Century streamlined furniture is coming back in style.