Valued Contributor

I'm Afraid This Is Only The Beginning

(CNN) -- Fears over Ebola have made the jump from pundits to the playground.

On Friday, a group of students attacked two of their peers at I.S. 318 in the Bronx while yelling "Ebola" at the brothers who had recently returned from Senegal, the boys' father told CNN Newsroom Tuesday.

The New York Department of Education confirms the incident occurred, saying the boys were pushed and shoved.

Ousmane Drame, the boys' father, said the boys felt so upset by their experience that they want to go back to Africa.

"They were made fun of by the children (who) started yelling, 'Ebola. Ebola. Ebola. Africa. Africa," Drame said his sons told him.

Charles Cooper of the African Advisory Council, a local advocacy group, said that during lunch, one of the boys was jumped by the students who had been calling him "Ebola." When his older brother intervened, the brother also was assaulted.

Drame said classmates refused to play with his sons in gym.

"We're done playing with you. You have Ebola," he said one of the bullies told his sons. "You sit down. ... They don't want to play with them. Nobody is close to them."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/28/us/ebola----...S%3A+Top+Stories%29

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Afraid This Is Only The Beginning

so, so sad {#emotions_dlg.sad}

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

It is heartbreaking.

Super Contributor

I can understand this happening with children. They learn it from their ignorant, low information parents.

Respected Contributor

The adults spread the fears, the children pay for them.

Honored Contributor

Dreadful.

It's one thing to be concerned when our system for handling those who have been exposed to this disease seems to be less than adequate, it's quite another to spread unfounded fears to children.

What is wrong with people?

Now I understand why some posters were afraid that people from West Africa would be treated like early AIDS patients were.

I lose faith in people more and more every day. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 kdgn said:

The adults spread the fears, the children pay for them.

This is along the lines of what I was going to say. Adults aren't bothering to get educated about this so they just spread the fear down.

I know a guy who is supposed to fly to another state for his job. One of his kids told him that he shouldn't go because he could catch ebola from being on a plane with someone.

He and his wife were both so proud of their daughter for being aware of current events like this and knowing what is going on. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Instead of the parents educating themselves about this, they both told her if Americans were still being infected, he'd forego the trip. SMH

Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Dreadful.

It's one thing to be concerned when our system for handling those who have been exposed to this disease seems to be less than adequate, it's quite another to spread unfounded fears to children.

What is wrong with people?

Now I understand why some posters were afraid that people from West Africa would be treated like early AIDS patients were.

I lose faith in people more and more every day. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Thanks, Kitty. Many of us were mocked for expressing that worry.

I'm so sad, so upset to see our worries turned to reality.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

There is no excuse to be uninformed today.

People should be ashamed of themselves. Kids repeat what they hear.

Honored Contributor

Very sad, not surprised.

People generally are upset about ebola and ignoring facts. That translates into homes and easily reaches down to children, some of whom act as bullies.

So sad for the child as well as for the bullies who just have no idea about the realities of ebola in this country.

BTW- 72 cheers for our medical personnel - those who've volunteered to go to the source, those who've cared for the victims here, and those who have themselves recovered and gone on to donate their blood with all its healing power. That's how a country with an evolved medical system conquers disease.