Regular Contributor

Real or Artificial Christmas Tree?

We always get a real tree. We go to a Christmas tree farm and choose and cut down the tree we want. This year I am thinking of getting an artificial tree. There are some nice, fairly realistic looking trees on the market. I don't think my kids would like that, though.

How many here have an artificial tree, and who prefers real trees?

Super Contributor

Re: Real or Artificial Christmas Tree?

Artificial. We haven't had a real tree since I was in about 6th grade.

Pre-lit is pretty wonderful too.

And revolving base so you can decorate and enjoy the entire tree.

Honored Contributor

Pre-lit artificial.

I have two flocked trees with white lights. They look just as pretty when they're unlit.

Respected Contributor

We have both.

Super Contributor

pre-lit artificial! DH talked me into a real tree one year - and it was the last time we had one.

Honored Contributor

Pre-lit artificial. Even if I wanted real, which I don't, we heat our house with a woodburner so we couldn't get one.

If anyone is interested in a real tree, Costco has gorgeous live trees. I have several family members and friends who started getting their trees from Costco a few years ago. They are beautiful and cheap.

Respected Contributor

We had real until someone down the street lost their home to a fire around Christmas. You have to be really careful to water them and I worry about the risk involved.

Super Contributor

I love a real tree.

Honored Contributor

Pre-lit artificial with white lights. I purchased this as an after Christmas special at a local gift shop. It is beautiful year after year. I decorate it in a Victorian theme using mauve, gold, brown, pink, red and off white items.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

We haven't had a real tree since the year all the needles fell of the tree BEFORE Christmas! I was so angry I took off all the decorations, hauled that tree back and demanded my money back! Kiss

For those tree purists who like real, I am always impressed with the trees for sale at Whole Foods--beautiful and perfectly shaped.