Super Contributor

The Cat-Calling Video "Experiment"

...that's all over the news this morning. On every single news station.

Matt Lauer made the remark (paraphrasing): "I don't think there's a man who's ever gotten anywhere (a date) by doing that". {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I think he misses the point entirely. I really don't think these men are trying to get together with the women they harass. I think it is a control tactic and makes them feel more powerful. I think it covers up their insecurity with women.

When I was younger and working in NYC, I was cat-called -- not to the ridiculous extent this woman was on the video -- mostly by construction workers lined up in the street on their lunch break. I used to walk right up to them and say, "How would you like it if your wife or daughter were spoken to like that?" Shut them up right away. They just don't expect the woman to talk back. They want the woman to cower. It gives them some sort of thrill.

Just my thoughts on it this morning. Smile

http://abc7.com/society/hidden-camera-woman-faced-with-cat-calls-harassment-as-she-walks-through-ny...

Regular Contributor

Re: The Cat-Calling Video ""Experiment""

I never mind "cat calls" or "whistles". I don't think that it is a control thing or a demeaning thing at all... provided, of course, that they keep their distance, and keep it clean. Also, it took 10 hours of specifically going where men were to get this footage.

Honored Contributor

I thought this was about cat videos

Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 focksie said:

Matt Lauer made the remark (paraphrasing): "I don't think there's a man who's ever gotten anywhere (a date) by doing that". {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I think he misses the point entirely. I really don't think these men are trying to get together with the women they harass. I think it is a control tactic and makes them feel more powerful. I think it covers up their insecurity with women.

When I was younger and working in NYC, I was cat-called -- not to the ridiculous extent this woman was on the video -- mostly by construction workers lined up in the street on their lunch break. I used to walk right up to them and say, "How would you like it if your wife or daughter were spoken to like that?" Shut them up right away. They just don't expect the woman to talk back. They want the woman to cower. It gives them some sort of thrill.

http://abc7.com/society/hidden-camera-woman-faced-with-cat-calls-harassment-as-she-walks-through-ny...

best to just keep walking and pay no attention, why cower?

Super Contributor

I think it's more of a NY thing. They took 10 hours of footage and put it in a few minute video. I've taken cabs in different cities across USA and only in NY did the cabbie get out and open the door for me, and kissed me. I was floored, totally unexpected. Ha!

Super Contributor

On 10/29/2014 jackthebear said:
On 10/29/2014 focksie said:

best to just keep walking and pay no attention, why cower?

yea i don't get that either! i totally disagree that is the intent! in fact i have had men say that they liked the way i carried myself and had some spunk! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} i agree with inallsincerity - it does not have to mean a control thing or be demeaning at all! doesn't bother me.

Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 Luv2Decorate said:

I think it's more of a NY thing. They took 10 hours of footage and put it in a few minute video. I've taken cabs in different cities across USA and only in NY did the cabbie get out and open the door for me, and kissed me. I was floored, totally unexpected. Ha!

Nope, not just a New York thing. I see it happen here in SW Ohio. I've experienced in when I've been out walking my dogs and in summer time have had jerks actually hanging out their car windows howling and yelling lewd phrases. My teenage granddaughters have frequently complained about it happening walking to and from school and at HS sporting events as well.

Men who do this are just jerks.

Respected Contributor

I never took it as a harmless compliment. I thought it was a fool detection for the callers..

Super Contributor

It's not a compliment at all. It doesn't make women feel flattered. It's harassment, plain and simple. And it is rude and classless.

We should be teaching our boys not to harass.

Regular Contributor

I fail to see how a man saying, "Hello Beautiful", "Smile", "God Bless", or "Have a nice day" is rude or classless. I believe the article, or the comments below it also cited winks as offensive.