Respected Contributor

Anyone live in or near Syracuse? For $10 you can fill your car up with Syracuse China.

For $10, anyone can fill their cars with some of the last pieces of dinnerware made by Syracuse China at its factory on Court Street in Salina before Libbey Inc. shut the plant down and laid off 275 workers in 2009.

The money will go to the Eastwood Neighborhood Association and the Over The Rainbow Daycare at St. Matthews Church in East Syracuse.

The sale will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 8, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 9, at the former factory, now an industrial park named Lyndale Commercial Park.

Libbey left behind tens of thousands of plates, bowls and cups stamped with the Syracuse China name when it closed the factory.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/for_10_dollars_fill_your_car_with_syracuse_china_hist...

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone live in or near Syracuse? For $10 you can fill your car up with Syracuse China.

We used to have an outlet here, and was that place crowded. I have a number of sets as well as odd pieces. It's sturdy, too. Not surprising since it started out as railroad dinnerware. I bet that sale will draw a lot of people.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone live in or near Syracuse? For $10 you can fill your car up with Syracuse China.

Funny....when I read the title I thought...""is this a new 'alternative fuel' called Syracuse China?""!

Honored Contributor

I collect Buffalo China and Syracuse China...that sounds like a great sale!

I'm about 3 hours away...a little too far to make the trip.

Darn.

Respected Contributor

On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

I collect Buffalo China and Syracuse China...that sounds like a great sale!

I'm about 3 hours away...a little too far to make the trip.

Darn.

Naw, it would be worth it! Road trip, terrier's driving!

Trusted Contributor

I used to live in Syracuse. What a great deal. I guess they just bring box after box and fill the car up? I wonder if they have limits on the size of car you can bring. I'll be interested to see what stuff ends up on Ebay after and how much it goes for.

ETA: YIKES!! I just read the article and it's unglazed pieces that have been stored for 5+ years in an open field. You have to bring your own boxes and gloves. I'd be skipping this sale. The unglazed means you can't ever use it for food. Only for display or artwork. no thanks.