Respected Contributor

Anyone else upset with DishTv and losing Turner stations?

Since Oct. 21 they have been negotiating a contract, in the meantime I can't get my favorite stations such as CNN and HLN among others.

I just hope they CAN come to an agreement.

If you are unhappy, please call Dish. The more callers, the more pressure. Besides, they told me that if I was on a list, I'd get credit towards the programming we aren't getting. They would also call me with any updates.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else upset with DishTv and losing Turner stations?

I already called Dish. They gave me a free ""substitute"" channel while they're negotiating. I want TCM back!

Valued Contributor

I am less upset with Dish than I am with Turner. I appreciate that Dish refuses to cave and works to keep consumer prices as stable as possible.

Do I miss CNN and HLN--yes, but not to the degree that I want my monthly bill to increase.

If Dish meets the demands of Turner there is absolutely no doubt that every other broadcaster will demand parity and Dish will have tied its hands when negotiating. It may take a few weeks but they will come to an agreement.

Both entities should be called by subscribers with demands that they quickly come to a compromise.

Honored Contributor

This happens all the time - with cable and with satellite.

The service providers see the huge profits the networks are making and they want a bigger piece of the pie for themselves.

Good old all American greed.

Valued Contributor

FYI, an excerpt from: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dish-drops-turner-cable-channels-20141...

If you read the linked article you will see that CBS is next in line.

At the same time, media companies such as Turner 's parent, Time Warner, have been looking for additional revenue to grow earnings and cover higher programming costs, particularly for sports. This month Turner struck a new nine-year, $11-billion agreement with the National Basketball Assn. after agreeing to pay fees to the NBA that were more than double the current level.

Baine noted that the Dish-Turner talks broke down less than a week after Time Warner executives promised Wall Street that it would achieve growth through double-digit affiliate fee increases. He also said that major distributors like Comcast, Time Warner Cable, AT&T and DirecTV are planning to merge, which could help them gain an upper hand in negotiations with programmers.

Honored Contributor

I'll make the sacrifice and risk losing CNN permanently. LOL

I like Dish and hope they can come to some agreement with Turner.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

The service providers see the huge profits the networks are making and they want a bigger piece of the pie for themselves.

Didn't you just call out someone for their anti-American remarks? Greed isn't confined to America, FYI.

Respected Contributor

We're getting closer and closer to pulling the plug. Before that, I'm suggesting to DH that we get the basic cable package. So far that's going over like a [bleep] in church.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

On 10/28/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 10/28/2014 terrier3 said:

Didn't you just call out someone for their anti-American remarks? Greed isn't confined to America, FYI.

OK. You are right. I was thinking of Gordon Gekko and the Wall Street movies.

How about -Good old corporate greed.

Whichever way it goes, the consumer will be footing the added expense.

Esteemed Contributor

Consumers might foot the added expense....they also might choose to disconnect their cable.