Respected Contributor
Jack Bruce, who wrote such hit songs as White Room and Sunshine of Your Love, has passed away at the age of 71 from liver disease. While he wasn't as well known as Clapton, Bruce was a gifted musician in his own right, and as performed with all the greats over the years. He had such a powerful rock and roll voice and White Room was a great example of his vocal talent. May he rest in peace.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Mr. Clapton cited Bruce as a major influence on his own music.

Esteemed Contributor

1968, I remember those songs. Sorry to hear he had such a disease and that he's passed.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor
How sad, .....I don't know if he drank, but I do wonder if people die from non alcoholic liver problems.
Respected Contributor

I love the song "White Room" and his performance of it.

May he rest in peace. Cream was a great group. I still have the orig. album, with its silver cover.

Honored Contributor
On 10/26/2014 Burnsite said:

I love the song "White Room" and his performance of it.

May he rest in peace. Cream was a great group. I still have the orig. album, with its silver cover.

My husband has that one, too. One of my favorite bands.
Respected Contributor
Jannabelle, I knew a woman who did not drink but died of liver disease due to obesity. I have that album on CD, great lyrics.
Valued Contributor
On 10/26/2014 chessylady said: Jannabelle, I knew a woman who did not drink but died of liver disease due to obesity. I have that album on CD, great lyrics.
Thank you, chessy lady, I really have wondered about that,....I've known people who have died from liver disease , but they did drink.
Respected Contributor

Although I don't know the details of Jack Bruce's disease, I remember reading that the main reason Cream broke up was due to infighting and heavy drug use. Many of the young people back then, especially in the entertainment industry, were into heavy drug use and seeing the way they have aged over the years, it was very evident. I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol abuse occurred as well. I know that Clapton considers himself a drug addict and an alcoholic (recovered thankfully), and I bet that the destructive behavior began in the early years of their careers. We lost one of the best when Jack died, but his music will definitely live on...

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Funny, "White Room" and "Sunshine" were on the radio Saturday...back in HS I had the radio on one night and "White Room" was played. I was 14 or 15 and called a radio station to find out the name of the song. The DJ said "Cream. White Room". I found a used 8-track tape a week later - great album. There's a documentary about Clapton around which may be aired again. They all used, that's just the nature of their beast; I don't know of any back then who didn't. Oriental Rugs, Jack Daniels and pharmaceuticals.

RIP Jack Bruce.