Esteemed Contributor

Can you figure this one out?

About a month or more ago we were sitting here watching tv. We heard a huge bang and our whole house shook. We jumped up and my husband went in the basement and checked if the burner blew. Checked if shelving fell, checked all over the house and garage. Nothing. We went outside thinking there was an explosion, nothing.

(Later on we checked if there were any earthquakes in the area, nope. And no storms either, nothing).

Well move forward to tonight. We were sitting here about 850PM and it happened again. Boom as loud as can be like our roof collapsed and the entire house shook. It even woke up my granddaughter who is here this weekend and had fallen asleep and she came running downstairs and said what was that?

Again nothing, no earthquake, no storms, nothing.

My husband (the non worrier) says ahh they were probably both sonic booms.

We live in a country development (not near an airport) if this helps.

What would you think it was. Was it a sonic boom?

Of course me Im the worrier. So Im worried if the ground is settling and if a sink hole is forming. We never had sink holes here but this is all I was thinking of from seeing other reports on the news in other areas of the country).

Its just bizarre. I even called my friend who lives a mile from here and she said nothing happened there and blames it on trucks. We are in the country on private street. It wasn't a truck.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you figure this one out?

do you live near train tracks? when they couple, there is an earthshaking boom
Respected Contributor

I would ask your neighbors if they had the same experience. Check for cracks in walls. I would probably have a professional come and have a look. I hope you figure out what it is and it's nothing serious.
Honored Contributor

Shorty, Is there any fracking taking place in your locale? There have been reports of "boom sounds" in areas where this (horrible, in my opinion{#emotions_dlg.unsure}) activity is happening.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 10/25/2014 dooBdoo said:

Shorty, Is there any fracking taking place in your locale? There have been reports of "boom sounds" in areas where this (horrible, in my opinion{#emotions_dlg.unsure}) activity is happening.

dbd: we are soooo on the same page!! DFW area has had light tremors like that for the last several yrs, and many are suggesting Fracking could be a plausible cause. Nasty stuff.

Honored Contributor

On 10/25/2014 sidsmom said:
On 10/25/2014 dooBdoo said:

<em>Shorty</em>, Is there any fracking taking place in your locale? There have been reports of "boom sounds" in areas where this (horrible, in my opinion{#emotions_dlg.unsure}) activity is happening.

dbd: we are soooo on the same page!! DFW area has had light tremors like that for the last several yrs, and many are suggesting Fracking could be a plausible cause. Nasty stuff.

I've heard this a number of times associated with fracking, either something that sounds and feels like sonic booms or small earthquake tremors. I agree, fracking is nasty stuff and we're still in the early stages of understanding the problems it's causing, and will cause for a long, long time into the future.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

A good place to start is finding where they are fracking in relationship to your home. Some communities have been remiss in zoning against it in residential areas/developments. You could wake up one morning to find fracking going on next door to you. The drilling isn't the only problem faced by people in the unfortunate areas, the heavy trucks are damaging highways and roads meant for local travel not heavy equipment. A huge amount of water is used in fracking and tanker trucks have to haul it away because it's contaminated with chemicals. Of course there is going to be illegal dumping because treating the water is very expensive, but that is OT.

Honored Contributor

On 10/25/2014 occasional rain said:

A good place to start is finding where they are fracking in relationship to your home. Some communities have been remiss in zoning against it in residential areas/developments. You could wake up one morning to find fracking going on next door to you. The drilling isn't the only problem faced by people in the unfortunate areas, the heavy trucks are damaging highways and roads meant for local travel not heavy equipment. A huge amount of water is used in fracking and tanker trucks have to haul it away because it's contaminated with chemicals. Of course there is going to be illegal dumping because treating the water is very expensive, but that is OT.

Looks like 3 of us agree on this. Hope she checks it out (the first thing might be to look at one of the many updated fracking maps on the internet), but even if this is the source there's little that can be done about it. I agree about the associated damage. I've even read about those whose homes' foundations have been ruined beyond repair.

Respected Contributor

If a local transformer (electric company's) blows it sounds like an explosion. We get those every once in a while. You may want to check with your elec. co.

Honored Contributor

Why don't you call your local TV stations and ask?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment