Esteemed Contributor

It's report card time--would love to see some national/state conversations about grading policies

I recently sat through a parent-teacher conference during which a math teacher explained a student's low grade. He scored 58% on a project which dramatically lowered his overall average because it counted twice in the gradebook and projects are heavily weighted. 20 points were deducted because it was one day late. 5 points were deducted because it was done on a piece of notebook paper and the teacher required it to be on posterboard. The mom was exasperated and kept saying that they spent 3 hours on that project the night before it was turned in. She's a single mom, works 2nd shift, and the student qualifies for free lunch. He would've had a C if not for the penalties. The teacher received $325 in supply funds--I don't see why she couldn't use some of that on posterboard if she really wanted projects submitted on posterboard. If she wants to send a message about late work, why not have the kid serve a lunch detention instead of ruining his grade?

In our district, if a student's average is 2% below failing, teachers are required to change the grade to passing. In a neighboring district, if a student's average is 5% below failing, teachers are required to change the grade to passing. Nobody receives below 60% on a report card--even if the student did not do any work the entire grading period. In some local schools, administrators make life miserable for teachers who have what they deem to be too many failures. It's always the teacher's fault if a student's not passing.

I've called the state department of education about grading policies. I don't think it's fair to give a failing student 5%, yet the B student doesn't get 5% added to put him on the straight A list, and a C student doesn't get 5% added to put him on the Honor Roll. The dept of ed says it's up to local districts to decide. In reference to the math teacher I mentioned, the principal says it's up to the teacher to decide how to grade her class projects.

Do you think grading policies are fair in your local schools?

Super Contributor

Re: It's report card time--would love to see some national/state conversations about grading policies

Most districts are going toward report cards that don't average grades anymore or use letter grades. They're called Standards-Based Report Cards. The grades are now 4, 3, 2, 1 with 3 being "meets the standard" and 4 being "exceeds the standard". Report cards are more specific in terms of what is graded. For example, it's not just one grade for "Reading". It's broken down into "Phonics", "Comprehension", Vocabulary", etc. The teachers and parents then can see exactly where the problem is instead of it being an overall grade for lots of different subcategories. Also, homework and attendance DO NOT count in academic grades - they are separate. So a child might do very well in science, but has a problem turning in homework. His academic grade won't suffer, but his homework grade will.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's report card time--would love to see some national/state conversations about grading policies

On 10/25/2014 Joselyn33 said:

Most districts are going toward report cards that don't average grades anymore or use letter grades. They're called Standards-Based Report Cards. The grades are now 4, 3, 2, 1 with 3 being "meets the standard" and 4 being "exceeds the standard". Report cards are more specific in terms of what is graded. For example, it's not just one grade for "Reading". It's broken down into "Phonics", "Comprehension", Vocabulary", etc. The teachers and parents then can see exactly where the problem is instead of it being an overall grade for lots of different subcategories. Also, homework and attendance DO NOT count in academic grades - they are separate. So a child might do very well in science, but has a problem turning in homework. His academic grade won't suffer, but his homework grade will.

We're seeing similar standards based report cards in the elementary grades, but not in middle and high schools. With our state's parting ways with Common Core, we may see the standards based grading disappear from the elementary schools.

Super Contributor

What was the amount of time between the project being assigned and the due date?

Doing it the night before the project was due sounds like procrastination on the part of the student. Whether they spent 3 hours or 30 minutes.

For the most part, I do believe they give plenty of time for projects that are expected to be produced on poster paper. Usually specific dimensions are given. A piece of notebook paper or was it pieces taped together is quite different than a full sheet size of poster paper.

And YES I have found myself running to the grocery or drugstore a night or two before a project is due for a sheet of poster paper . . . and finally just kept a 10 pack of it stashed behind a dresser or large piece of furniture. And now some require those 3 sectioned display type thicker poster board in various sizes. My kids don't get a lot of sympathy when they wait until the last minute. Starting around 3rd grade I left it up to them to get their homework done. I ask "got any homework" but they pretty much know what is expected and get it done . .. although sometimes not as timely as I might like for them to do. Then fewer and fewer reminders as they got older to ask about status or "do you have any homework?".

I never really had any issues with grading policy. Although a couple of projects for daughter for Spanish I and II were very, very time consuming . . . much more so than any of her AP classes . . . an illustrated book in Spanish . . . a very large full size (2' or larger) fully functioning pinata . . . with tightly secured tissue paper with no "base" showing whatsoever . . . we're talking 20+ hours or more . . . just seemed some of that time could have been better spent in Calculus or Chemistry or Biology.

Honored Contributor

OP - I don't understand why you would not think a kid should have points deducted because it was late. I think that was very important. As for the poster paper - that seemed like a lot of points for that but it seems it would depend on how much emphasis the teacher put on that when she explained the project to the kids. All in all - it seems the kid did it wrong and turned it in late so those should reflect in the grade he received.

Honored Contributor

Our grades are weighted.

10% -quarterly benchmarks

75% -assessments (includes projects, presentations, quizzes, tests, etc.)

15% -homework

There is a "fudge" factor in that something could be called a project or a classwork, and it changes which category you want to put it in. Some students, for example, who do no homework, might benefit from a "classwork" entered into the HW category.

Our late policy (for homework only) is this.

1) 70% credit on the day after it's due.

2) -10% each day thereafter, with the maximum being five school days out.

Our students can redo any "assessment" once, as long as they aren't identified as "excluded" on the syllabus, like quarterly exams or chapter tests. They get the better of the two grades. Theoretically, if a teacher gives 10 things from the assessment category, and has 100 + students, each student could generate 20 assessments (x 100) for the grading in one quarter. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Think about the amount of time to create a redo version, to photocopy (and manage how many redos of a particular quiz), coordinating WHEN a student will complete the redo, and to have it graded and updated in the gradebook.

Students also cannot receive a zero on any assessment, unless they never took it within the make up window. They have to earn a minimum 50% for a "good faith effort."

If you have a student who does the minimum, but does no homework, for the quarter their grade is below a 50%. However, on report cards they can only earn a 50% or a 0%- not a 35%, so you end up having to change the grade in the end.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 happy housewife said:

OP - I don't understand why you would not think a kid should have points deducted because it was late. I think that was very important. As for the poster paper - that seemed like a lot of points for that but it seems it would depend on how much emphasis the teacher put on that when she explained the project to the kids. All in all - it seems the kid did it wrong and turned it in late so those should reflect in the grade he received.

I have no problems with points being deducted for a late project, but I think 20 points is excessive for one day late.

I also think it's unreasonable for a teacher who teaches in a high poverty school to require students to make purchases like posterboard for projects when she's given plenty of supply money to cover the expense of materials like this. These parents are already expected to pay $150 for iPad insurance and $200 for field trip expenses. IMO, a digital poster on the iPad would have been just as good as a posterboard project, but it wasn't an option. I just don't think the kid should be penalized because his mom didn't have the time to go buy supplies. It's not like he has the ability to drive himself to the store and buy supplies himself.

Super Contributor

Have you asked the teacher what she spent the $325 on?

FYI -- in my district, we got $0 to spend.

Esteemed Contributor

lolokimono, it sounds like your district has a uniform policy. I guess my biggest concern around here is the lack of consistency. In one grade level subject at this school, you'll find one teacher who doesn't allow redos and has high penalties for late work, while another teacher of the same grade/subject allows lots of redos and never penalizes students.

I realize that schools are pressured about graduation rates, but it just bothers me that some students keep getting credit for work they never produced.

Honored Contributor

Qualifiier: I come from a looooong line of teachers...from K-12, guidance counselors, ESL, the whole gamet.

Sometimes the best lessons kids can learn....are the consequences of their actions. All the other kids got their project in on time. All the other kids had the required assignment in order. These are the lessons the child...and appears, in the case, the PARENT...need to learn for everyday life requirements now & they grow older.

It appears the teacher has one more student....the parent. Sad the teacher & X # of other parents/kids in that class have to bow down to that one irresponsible parent.