Trusted Contributor

Now health personnel returning from West Africa treated like criminals in NY/NJ

Now we're seeing the other side of the travel ban from West Africa. A doc was returning yesterday evening from the affected area after being with Doctors W/out Borders (DWOB). She is good friends with a doc they use on CNN. So while we were hearing official word on her being quarantined upon her return, the CNN doc also relayed the more human side of it.

Here's what happened: The woman left the plane and was immediately herded into a special area with no explanation. Her luggage was put in plastic bags. She became upset and they took her temp via the no touch forehead temp taker and it showed a fever, and it was reported to CNN via official word that she had a fever. But she told the CNN doc that they then took her temp via a more accurate oral thermometer and her temp was perfectly normal. But the damage had been done, so they whisked her off to the hospital and gave her an Ebola blood test that came back negative. She's still quarantined in the hospital in isolation.

So, what do I now think of the new NY/NJ travel protocol? It seems very heavy handed and NOT grounded in science. I was initially for a travel ban, but now I'm not sure. I mean the docs and other health personnel can now just travel back to anywhere but Ny/NJ and not get the same treatment. Or they can linger in Europe for a few days and then come back undetected and we won't know. Most importantly IMO is the effect this will have on other Doctors considering humanitarian work in West Africa. They're not going to want to do that and come back to be treated like a criminal and quarantined for 3 weeks after being gone for a few months.

What do you think?

Super Contributor

Re: Now health personnel returning from West Africa treated like criminals in NY/NJ

This is an extremely serious disease they are dealing with and desperately trying to prevent an epidemic in the United States. I think every state should quarantine people coming back from those three countries for 21 days...some doctors say it should be even longer.

I think passports should be checked carefully to ensure that someone had not been in Africa in the last month. That would catch people who fly in from Europe. Yes, it is sad that this may affect medical personnel who want to go help with this epidemic in Africa.

I was a nurse practitioner before I retired, and I can appreciate the care that some states like NY/NJ are taking with people returning from Africa. I realize that people do not like it, but I think it is necessary.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Re: Now health personnel returning from West Africa treated like criminals in NY/NJ

I did see this reported on CNN last night and find it hard to be she was treated like a criminal.

I think it's good Jersey and NY have a plan in place and they'll likely refine it as time goes on.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

She is returning from Africa, has a fever, and they take her to the hospital. She doesn't have Ebola, but still has a fever?

I think they're being very cautious about this.

Respected Contributor

The doctors returning from treating ebola patients should be treated with caution, part of me wants to say they should ALL be quarantined for the incubation period.

I know that sounds rough, but the doctor going bowling and all over the city the night before he tested positive makes me afraid.

I mean, the cab he was in probably had many riders in it after he was in it.

I know, I am a germaphobe.

Respected Contributor

Since there are still too many unknowns about this wretched disease, I think it is essential to take precautions. Any health care professional who thinks otherwise needs to put their hubris on the back burner and use some common sense.
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't need an explanation. I would just appreciate and expect treatment like that upon my return.

I don't understand why she's upset. I'd rather be safe than sorry, I couldn't live with myself knowing I infected someone if it could have been prevented.

And it's based on statistics...they're knowledge is limited and what they once thought, has turned out to be incorrect.

May I remind everyone of these statements..."Ebola will not come to the US"..."Ebola will not spread in the US"...."You don't need all your skin covered"..."Hospitals have been trained and are prepared to handle anyone that is infected". Not.so.much.

I think I'll just appreciate those Govt officials that have decided to err on the side of caution.

Respected Contributor

Since the no touch temperature strip isn't reliable, it shouldn't be used for screening.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 Madisson said:

This is an extremely serious disease they are dealing with and desperately trying to prevent an epidemic in the United States. I think every state should quarantine people coming back from those three countries for 21 days...some doctors say it should be even longer.

I think passports should be checked carefully to ensure that someone had not been in Africa in the last month. That would catch people who fly in from Europe. Yes, it is sad that this may affect medical personnel who want to go help with this epidemic in Africa.

I was a nurse practitioner before I retired, and I can appreciate the care that some states like NY/NJ are taking with people returning from Africa. I realize that people do not like it, but I think it is necessary.

I gotta agree. I know it's tough, but I really think it's for the best, and really, as a health professional, it should be expected.

While it's very admirable, going to third world countries to help the sick, they know before they go that there are risks involved. They know this kind of thing is a possibility.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 PpprMintPatty said:

I wouldn't need an explanation. I would just appreciate and expect treatment like that upon my return.

I don't understand why she's upset. I'd rather be safe than sorry, I couldn't live with myself knowing I infected someone if it could have been prevented.

And it's based on statistics...they're knowledge is limited and what they once thought, has turned out to be incorrect.

May I remind everyone of these statements..."Ebola will not come to the US"..."Ebola will not spread in the US"...."You don't need all your skin covered"..."Hospitals have been trained and are prepared to handle anyone that is infected". Not.so.much.

I think I'll just appreciate those Govt officials that have decided to error on the side of caution.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines