Honored Contributor
I just heard a rattle across the living room, looked up and there's a sparrow flying in the lampshade. How in the heck did a bird get in the house? I do have a dog door but it would have to come in with a dog. Unlikely. If it's not one thing, it's another. Help!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
Maybe open your front door if you feel safe enough to do that.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
Oh geez. Shut doors so he's in one room for starters. Google how to get a bird out that's trapped in your house. Sorry but stuff comes up. Good luck.
Honored Contributor
Cover windows. Turn off lights. Open one window as wide as you can or open your front door and keep your fingers crossed.
Super Contributor

Opening a door and trying to direct it out that way seems like the best way. If it won't leave, and it lands on the floor, can you throw a light sheet over it to catch it?

Honored Contributor

By any chance, do you have a butterfly net? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

The birds we had in our townhome all came down the chimney. We finally go the HOA to fix this good enough to keep them from getting into this. We knew when they were in the fireplace because we could hear them. We would then close all the blinds in the home other than the ones on our deck door.

Once they flew out of the fireplace it took them awhile to spot the light and the would fly right towards it and out the door.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
When I started reading your post and came across the word, "rattle", and knowing you are from NM, I immediately thought rattlesnake! So glad it is not that. Good luck on chasing the bird out. The suggestions sound good.
Super Contributor

We had a hummingbird in our garage once. It kept flying into the window to get out. I opened the window from the top down and it flew out (at first opened the bottom window, but the bird kept flying up). I had the garage door open but it wouldn't go out that way.

Honored Contributor
Kachina, are you bird-free this morning?