Trusted Contributor

Anyone taking Neurontin..need advice please

I truly need advice and help from anyone taking Neurontin. My doctor has prescribed it for constant nerve pain that I have daily. I've read some of the side effects and they scare me. Has anyone taking it experienced weight gain, confusion, fluid retention, depression, anxiety? Please share your experiences while taking it. I truly need your advice. Thanks in advance.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone taking Neurontin..need advice please

Grandma pete's, I take gabapentin, which is the generic Neurontin and have for about six years. I started it for polymyalgia rheumatica at that time. I had chemo last year and now I take it for neuropathy in legs and feet. My dose is 1800 a day, six of the 300 capsules. You can go to 2400 a day. I think they can make me a little tired, but that is all.

Just try them, generic will be cheaper, and see how they work for you. Don't be afraid, they always have to put all the side affects in case. Good luck!Smile

mm

my edit

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much MM....I really appreciate your input. I'm in a lot of discomfort and pain, especially when I try to sleep, so any relief will be welcomed, it's just that I've read so many side effects from people on this drug. I'm willing to try anything, but the thought of other unpleasant symptoms makes me nervous. Thank you again for your reply.
Honored Contributor

My sister was on a Neurontin patch. It's a heavy pain med. She had to come off it. Research it carefully.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Ford1224. I know many people have said they had multiple issues while on it and when they stopped taking it. I appreciate your reply. The unknown is so scary and wanting to have no pain makes it even worse. It's never easy to weigh the options. That's why I appreciate these boards. Great advice from people who have shared the same experiences.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband has peripheral neuropathy and has been prescribed Neurontin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, etc.... He tried them all and did not like the way they made him feel. He was disoriented, dizzy, had no memory of things he just did, and on and on.

He decided not to take any of the meds and live with the pain. His neurologist is okay with it and gave us his cell phone number just in case. He said he has never had a patient like this, who would rather live with pain and no pills. But my husband is tough and can put up with a lot. A few years ago he had a kidney stone and his doctor said he didn't know how he could stand the pain and hubby said "I don't have any pain" - the doctor said "oh yes you do"..... He burned up two lasers trying to break up the stone while in the hospital.....

There are also side effects to this family of drugs so be very careful when taking them..... I hope they help your symptoms. I asked the neurologist if these pills cure or slow down the neuropathy and he said they did not - they just send a message to the brain.... So then, I said why couldn't he just take pain pills and he said "I have no problem with that" and prescribed pain meds, which are still sitting on the shelf three years later...... He won't take them either because he says he doesn't like the way they make him feel.

Everyone is different and there are those who swear by these medications. Just be mindful of the side effects and if you want to put up with them, then at least, give it a try.....

Super Contributor

My sister took Neurontin and had to get off of it because she began to suffer severe side effects of the drug. She took Neurontin for neuropathy pain.

Neurontin caused my sister to have worse nerve pain(neuropathy) in her hands and feet than what she started with. But the primary reason she came off of the drug is because she began to suffer from short term memory loss -- and she began having seizures. She didn't have problems with her memory or seizures before she began taking Neurontin.

Her neurologist told her that neuropathy and seizures can be side effects of taking Neurontin.

She had a terrible time weaning off of the drug and failed at doing so several times. The final time she weaned herself of Neurontin she did it very slowly, taking about 7 - 8 months to get off of it.

Honored Contributor

Sorry I do not but wanted to say hello grandma petes it has been a long while since I have seen you. Sorry you have so much pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

I was on gabapentin for 3 years when my rheumatologist started me on Lyrica instead. They both work but Lyrica works better for me. My insurance company doesn't like paying for it. They approved it for one year after that I guess I'll go back to gabapentin.

I have had some swelling in my legs from them but nothing major. I have neuropathy but you'd never know it. I absolutely have no pain in my feet now other than from the RA.

I'm also on Cymbalta.

Trusted Contributor

A huge thank you to everyone that posted. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me with my questions. I will do more research before taking this medication. It's awful to think that it could cause many more problems than solutions to the pain. Waving hi back to you croemer!! I haven't posted for quite awhile, but I do visit the boards daily to catch up on the latest and greatest. So nice of you to say hi. Have a wonderful weekend!!