Honored Contributor

ENHANCED SCREENING FOR EBOLA ......

I've noticed that some say we shouldn't allow ANYONE in from the Ebola countries ... not just the 5 airports that they must pass through to enter the U.S. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

This was explained recently ........

If they close the borders and refuse to allow anyone in from any of the African nations (and others), this would prompt these people to come in via other means.

What if someone infected but without symptoms decided to fly into Ottawa or Toronto and go across the Canadian border into the U.S. and no one knew about them? Can you imagine what a MESS this would be for health care professionals, the CDC, and the general population ?? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

At least restricting people to entering through 5 airports can somewhat control this by identifying these people ..... and keep track of them. If they begin to show symptoms, we won't have an unknown "Patient Zero".

No easy answers, but this certainly makes sense to me. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Re: ENHANCED SCREENING FOR EBOLA ......

Yes. It makes perfect sense to me too.

Respected Contributor

Restricting? really taking the temperature of someone who is asymptomatic at the time of arrival does nothing to prevent them from entering or developing symptoms that will become contagious. They seem to have no problem in flying in from Brussels en route to the Us.

Oh btw, considering your in LA why don't you start demanding that LAX be added to the list of airports that they can fly into?

Honored Contributor

I don't think enhanced screening is going to do anything.

Valued Contributor

It makes sense to me, too. The airport in my area is one of the five airports they can fly into, and in fact, Duncan spent several hours at this airport while enroute to Texas. I have no problem at all with that.
Super Contributor

Dr. Fauci just said that we'll be hearing about mandatory quarantines soon. He said the states have a huge say in how they treat people who are coming in from other countries.

Respected Contributor

On 10/24/2014 wookie said: It makes sense to me, too. The airport in my area is one of the five airports they can fly into, and in fact, Duncan spent several hours at this airport while enroute to Texas. I have no problem at all with that.

Yes so it makes sense that your area be the hub for all incoming passengers from the Ebola zone. Let them stay there to be quarantined and checked before flying on. You wouldn't have an issue with that would you? I am between the two airports in my area since we have both Newark and JFK.

Valued Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 10/24/2014 wookie said: It makes sense to me, too. The airport in my area is one of the five airports they can fly into, and in fact, Duncan spent several hours at this airport while enroute to Texas. I have no problem at all with that.

Yes so it makes sense that your area be the hub for all incoming passengers from the Ebola zone. Let them stay there to be quarantined and checked before flying on. You wouldn't have an issue with that would you? I am between the two airports in my area since we have both Newark and JFK.

I think all designated airports are equipped to handle the incoming traffic. I am perfectly fine with my area airport being one of the five. Are you saying because I don't object personally, all traffic should come through Dulles? If so, I don't agree.
Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 GrettaGarbled said:

Dr. Fauci just said that we'll be hearing about mandatory quarantines soon. He said the states have a huge say in how they treat people who are coming in from other countries.

I've been listening to a noon time news conference in NYC by Mayor DeBlasio and a couple of medical professionals. Dr. Bassett, the NYC Dept of Health Commissioner said "There are active discussions going on about changing the protocol" for individuals flying in from affected areas. The Mayor said the quarantining of individuals for 21 days would be "decided at the federal level".

I don't think this news conference was nationally broadcast so here's an update:

Dr. Spencer is in stable condition and was talking to family members today as well as medical detectives. Dr. Bassett said "It is not known how Dr. Spencer contracted the virus and we may never know". The news conference was just to say teams have been sent to each location that the doctor visited on Wednesday, they kept emphasizing how ebola is contracted (only by direct contact with the bodily fluids of an actively sick person) and they said how pleased they were at how seamless yesterday's protocol went in transitioning Dr. Spencer to the hospital and that NYC is well prepared to handle this situation.

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 GrettaGarbled said:

It's about time.