Super Contributor

Serious question. How do I read this on a birth certificate?

This may sound odd, but I always thought I was adopted. I was always assured that wasn't so. BUT... after really looking at a certified copy of my birth certificate (this morning!), I may have been adopted…unless I am reading it incorrectly.

Does anyone know what the field: "Name of informant" means? Because there is named who I thought was my biological "mother"….but, the next field over, or two, it asks what is the relationship to the person born, and that field says (at first typing (no computers then, so it was hand-typed)--it reads at FIRST typing: "other". And then, with a different style of "M" someone rolled the birth certificate back into the typewriter and put a floating "M" near "other".

And the name where the "Mother" field is, is filled with the same first name, but a different last name (different than the maiden name of who I thought/think is my real mother).

I've never been able to get a straight answer from anyone in my family. But this is the first time I've really studied my birth certificate. I don't have the original birth certificate.

Any one know?

I always knew I was an alien… {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

Re: Serious question. How do I read this on a birth certificate?

Sorry I can't really help you - under informant mine says my Dad's name and father beside it.

Can't you check at the hall of records in your county or state and see if there is an adoption certificate?

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 happy housewife said:

Sorry I can't really help you - under informant mine says my Dad's name and father beside it.

Can't you check at the hall of records in your county or state and see if there is an adoption certificate?

Thanks. Not sure how to go about this. But maybe when I can get about more easily, I'll do that. (I'm recovering from an injury).

Respected Contributor

ical I googled your question and came up with that would be the person who gave the information on the birth certificate.

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Caravaggio said:

ical I googled your question and came up with that would be the person who gave the information on the birth certificate.

Thanks! This adds to the mystery. According to my mom, she said she was in hospital* for over two weeks, as was I. But the date where the informant's name is listed is 4 days later.

* She said she nearly died.

Super Contributor

ical, if your mom was ill after your birth, it would account for the delay in filing your birth information. The informant is whoever provides the information for the certification. It could be a parent or a nurse.

As for the "m" added later, maybe a bad typist was responsible for typing out the certificate. My age is listed incorrectly on my older son's birth certificate. They made me younger!

Respected Contributor

Yes my bc was filled out late as well so imo I don't that should add to your worry. My daughters bc came from a Navel hosp on a Marine and it is totally different then what I was given by the county.

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 reese2 said:

ical, if your mom was ill after your birth, it would account for the delay in filing your birth information. The informant is whoever provides the information for the certification. It could be a parent or a nurse.

As for the "m" added later, maybe a bad typist was responsible for typing out the certificate. My age is listed incorrectly on my older son's birth certificate. They made me younger!

Okay, thanks! I suppose they should be more careful when filling out these things! My father has his age crossed out and it is hand-written in three years younger. And I also see that the "doctor" was not the doctor my mother spoke about and used even when I was a child, she would always go to this "doctor" who delivered my younger brother.

When I google this "doctor", I could only find one document regarding him. He was on one census and he has not yet died. There is no record of him dying or being born.

….weird. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 Caravaggio said:

Yes my bc was filled out late as well so imo I don't that should add to your worry. My daughters bc came from a Navel hosp on a Marine and it is totally different then what I was given by the county.

Thanks. This is good to know. The hospital where I was born has changed its name, but I should be able to find records somehow to verify oddities on my birth certificate.

Also, my father's last name, where the "father" field is located has his last name spelled one letter off.

Records could be filed various ways on this thing...

Esteemed Contributor

When my first was born I remember joking with the father about who wanted to be the ""informant"". A nurse came to the room to take the info and the informant is sort of like the ""witness"". Just whoever wants to be on the hook for giving the correct info.

I think the ""M"" issue is purely bad typing.

Really late in life I discovered that it was my mother that seems to have had a name issue. Apparently she switched between two different maiden names. I know she had a step-father (or two) and it is impossible to figure it all out now.

Could be it is your mother that was less than forthcoming?